How do I capture TCP traffic between a client and Remoting host running on my local workstation using Netmon? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a situation where an existing system created with .NET framework 1.1 generates dynamic asp.net web pages where all content is supplied from a database (web pages in the solution consist of a simple Master page and empty default.aspx). There are no server controls and no code-behind, making it difficult to set breakpoints. There is some common code created from hundreds of web.common classes, but it is not clear what gets called when insofar as this app is new to me and, quite frankly, unlike anything I have ever seen (the dynamically generated web code is all but unreadable)... and extremely confusing.

These pages communicate with a .net remoting host through a custom channel. The web pages can call multiple services in the remote host, but it is difficult to tell what is being called as the middle-tier remhost consists of HUNDREDS of projects and thousands of services. I am attempting to set up NETMON locally to monitor tcp remoting calls from the local client and remhost running on my workstation via port 9000 to understand what services are being called by the client so I can set breakpoints on them and follow their path. However, I don't seem to be capturing any of the calls between the local client and remoting host, although it does capture TCP port 9000 calls to a crypto server running on the local dev environment rather than my local machine. I have tried changing the config files to use my workstation name rather than "localhost", but this still did not capture any of the calls to the remoting service.

Is there something I need to do to capture the remoting calls on my local workstatation?

• Edited by Bill2010 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:18 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately there is no way to capture local traffic.  This is a feature we are investigating, but since the traffic doesn't reach the NDIS layer, we can't capture it.

Paul

• Marked as answer by Bill2010 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:04 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately there is no way to capture local traffic.  This is a feature we are investigating, but since the traffic doesn't reach the NDIS layer, we can't capture it.

Paul

• Marked as answer by Bill2010 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:04 PM

Paul

Hmmmm... That's dissapointing. I found that I am able to capture the packets using TCPmon, but Netmon does a much better job at formatting the capture. It will be great if you can make this change for debugging on a local machine.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Yes, this is an often asked for feature.  And certainly high on our list for future versions.

Paul

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:47 PM
  • I haven't done this but have read about it. What you do is manipulate you local routing table so that the route to your workstation (localhost) is sent to the default router. This way traffic that is normally inter-host gets sent to the local router which in turn sends it right back. I don't completely understand your scenario but you may find this helpful.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:26 PM