Extended Stored Procedures RRS feed

• Question

• What is mean by an Extended Stored Procedure ?

How is it useful in SQL 2005 in day to day activities as a SQL developer ?

When It is necessary to use it ?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:47 PM

Answers

• In SQL Extended Stored Procedures are two things.  SQL Server ships with certain extended procedures that are both documented and undocumented.  Undocumented ones were put in by Microsoft for specific uses and while they can be used by anyone with SQL Server, it is best not to use them in production code because they are not guaranteed to maintain their implementation for hotfix to hotfix, or service pack to service pack.  Documented procedures, such as XP_cmdshell allow you to do things beyond the abilities of tSQL, outside of SQL Server.  They are useful for different tasks.

You can also develop your own Extended procedures, however, with the integration of SQL CLR, I don't know that it is really necessary.  Instead of building an unmanaged extended procedure it would be better for you to build a managed CLR assembly to do the work, at least in my opinion.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:04 PM

All replies

• In SQL Extended Stored Procedures are two things.  SQL Server ships with certain extended procedures that are both documented and undocumented.  Undocumented ones were put in by Microsoft for specific uses and while they can be used by anyone with SQL Server, it is best not to use them in production code because they are not guaranteed to maintain their implementation for hotfix to hotfix, or service pack to service pack.  Documented procedures, such as XP_cmdshell allow you to do things beyond the abilities of tSQL, outside of SQL Server.  They are useful for different tasks.

You can also develop your own Extended procedures, however, with the integration of SQL CLR, I don't know that it is really necessary.  Instead of building an unmanaged extended procedure it would be better for you to build a managed CLR assembly to do the work, at least in my opinion.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:04 PM