Blog posted - 10/13/2009 - Slime Time (How-to on effects and Expression Design) RRS feed

All replies

• Eeewwwww

Ok, seriously, this looks like a fun tutorial. Thanks for posting it. I'll bet you had fun writing it.
    Annie
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:22 AM
  • will
    nice tutorial
    thanks
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Excellent Tutorial Will, works a treat :)

Can't believe how easy it is to create an image like this with such clear effects
    (well - easy when you know how to use all the tools ....lol - which I am still far from)

Can I ask a quick question,
    on your image - http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/xdesignsupport/WindowsLiveWriter/GreenSlimeJustinTimeforHalloween_F726/image_12.png
    it shows perforated lines of your original polyline drawing.
    What setting do I need to have enabled to be able to view this

Using Design 3 btw

Thanks again
    Paul

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Thanks, all. I did have fun writing this one.

Paullyie, the perforated lines that (I believe) you're referring to are there by default when you use the Convert Anchor Points (CAP) tool. Try drawing a rectangle, then use the CAP tool and click on a couple of the corner anchor points. They become rounded off, but Design also should be showing you dashed lines where the original lines were as opposed to where they are now. I believe that's what you're referring to in the PNG you referenced.

If that's not what you were referring to let me know.

Will
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for that, yes that is what I meant the dashed lines

I tried as you suggested, drew a Rectangle and used the CAP to drag and make it rounded
    But there is no sign of my original rectagle all I see is the final shape

Not sure if it is related to a setting or not

Cheers
    Paul

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:22 PM
  • You say the word "drag". Don't drag. Draw your rectangle, select the CAP tool and just click once on the anchor point. That should automatically round off the edge and you should see the dashed lines.

Will
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Thanks Will,

Thats where I was going wrong. I was "dragging" the anchor points instead of using a 'Single-click'
    The single-click shows the dashed line and also creates a smoother curve

Thanks for your help

Cheers,
    Paul
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:33 PM