Drop Shadow on a Window RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a WPF project in blend and I have a few windows that pop up within the UI. I would like to have a drop shadow effect behind them to create more of a distinction between the pop up and the program behind it. I know how to create the effect, but cannot figure out how to make it display beyond the window constraint. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Rockwell,

It sounds like you are you setting the property of the entire element to invisible under appearance in the properties panel...  if so, then yes, your entire window will indeed become invisible and it's children as well.

Instead, go to the window in objects & timeline, double click it so it is set as the active element.  Then go to your properties inspector, and set the background, borderbrush, foreground and opacity to 'no brush' (that's the tab that looks like a diver's flag--has a line through the window).  This essentially means the window and its children are still visible, but the window's own specific properties are set to invisible.  All your children will still be visible.

You're welcome for the help. Let me know how you make out.
    Purkiss
    • Proposed as answer by Purkiss Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by RockwellDesign77 Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:40 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Rockwell,

Are you using a bitmap effect to create your shadow off of an element, or are you using a black rectangle/opacity/gaussion blur bitmap effect to produce it?
    Purkiss
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Bitmap effect
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:55 PM
  • check and see if your window has the variable 'clip to bounds' checked in your property inspector.  If it is, uncheck it.  That should allow elements to persist outside of your window constraints.
    Purkiss
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:00 PM
  • That is not an option for my window, although it is for the grid within it, which is what contains the drop shawdow
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Ok...so maybe I'm missing something here...but what about simply increasing the size of your window so that the drop shadow doesn't fall outside of its paramaters?  I checked with a project I'm doing... i have a login screen, but the window container is invisible. Only my grid and elements are visible...i too have a shadow.. if i close in the window boundaries, it chops off my shadow. So I simply made the window larger so all my elements, including the shadow, are inside.
    Purkiss
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:13 PM
  • I am still having issues. First off I would like to say thank you for all the help. When I try to make the window container invisible, everything within the window becomes invisible as well. Is there a different way to do this?
    Monday, September 22, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Hi Rockwell,

It sounds like you are you setting the property of the entire element to invisible under appearance in the properties panel...  if so, then yes, your entire window will indeed become invisible and it's children as well.

Instead, go to the window in objects & timeline, double click it so it is set as the active element.  Then go to your properties inspector, and set the background, borderbrush, foreground and opacity to 'no brush' (that's the tab that looks like a diver's flag--has a line through the window).  This essentially means the window and its children are still visible, but the window's own specific properties are set to invisible.  All your children will still be visible.

You're welcome for the help. Let me know how you make out.
    Purkiss
    • Proposed as answer by Purkiss Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by RockwellDesign77 Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:40 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Yes this worked finally, I had the allow transparency unchecked by accident as well. Thanks again for all the help!
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Cool, glad it's all figured it out!

You should mark this thread as 'answered' so that other people looking at the threads can use it as reference.

take care.
    Purkiss
    Friday, October 3, 2008 3:41 PM