none
Line Number from File RRS feed

• Question

• We are replacing an old 837 claims processing system with Biztalk 2010.  One thing we currently do when receiving the 837 file is to add CRLF's to the file to make it easier to read and also to to be able to refer to line numbers for fixing errors.  I have done one flat-file processing project in Biztalk so far, and was able to append error results in the Rules Engine to the XLANG message and return this as an xml file.  In doing this, I didn't see how I would be able to refer to a line number from the flat file - any thoughts on how/if this might be done? 
    Thanks for any and all help... Mike
    Monday, January 24, 2011 2:27 PM

Answers

• Your requirement cannot be addressed out of the box in BizTalk server. When the EDI File is Disassembled it will be converted to XML, and we don't have any details about the line number associated with the Segments.

You can develop a custom pipeline component to parse the incoming EDI file, store the line number along with the Segment details  amd some unique identfier (like patient account number)into Database. In your BRE/Orchestration you can reconcile the claim and the corresponding line number from the Database.

It's quite a serious development to achive your requirement.

Sathish - http://blog.tsathish.com - Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:58 PM

All replies

• I personally do not like to add any fields to the file that comes in. Keeping it native is the only real way you knwo what came in. Is there a reason you are not using something like EDINotepad to parse through the files?
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:21 PM
  • I am not familiar with that product; I will take a look at it...

the goal is to be able to respond to our client with a line number based on their original flat file and say 'on line 300 you had a bad value'....

thanks

Monday, January 24, 2011 4:32 PM
  • I would suggest that archive the files using a pass through Send Port which is subscribing to the Original Incoming Receive Port that receives original 837 files. This way you have a place to go to and open the file in any advanced editor (winvi is my favorite). Once you are in advanced editor you can easily replace or add a "0d 0a" in Hex Mode and get to the line numbers if the file is not having one.

This way you dont build a extra process for 100% of the files coming in and add a extra processing layer while you need it only a occasional basis.

-amit

amit kumar * Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:43 PM
  • If your goal is to respond to your client incase there is an error in the file, then 997 Acknowledgement will have necessary information about the line number and the segment where the error occured. The same information will be available in Event log.

As Carlos mentioned, it's suggested to keep the file as it is, to have better understanding  of the information that came in the file.

I have came across news/updates where changing the incoming X12 HIPAA files before processing is considered as HIPAA Compliance/ SOX  Audit Violations.

Sathish - http://blog.tsathish.com - Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:43 PM
  • I know that 997 will tell me if there is a syntax type error, like missing element or segment.  What I need to report back as well is if their is invalid data based on our rules: zip code not in our zip code table, etc.  We have about 80-90 rules like this that I can validate through BRE, but want to be able to report back to sender and reference line number from their flat file...
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Why dont you just load those fields from a map or a DLL to a table, then have a stored procedure that will do that automatically. No need to open the file. Opening each file is cumbersome. Just load all the fields you need from that one file to a table, and consolidate all the zip codes at once.

Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:40 PM
  • I want to reject the file and send user list of invalid values before attempting to insert my tables....

Monday, January 24, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Your requirement cannot be addressed out of the box in BizTalk server. When the EDI File is Disassembled it will be converted to XML, and we don't have any details about the line number associated with the Segments.

You can develop a custom pipeline component to parse the incoming EDI file, store the line number along with the Segment details  amd some unique identfier (like patient account number)into Database. In your BRE/Orchestration you can reconcile the claim and the corresponding line number from the Database.

It's quite a serious development to achive your requirement.

Monday, January 24, 2011 6:58 PM