CCR Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• I came to CCR after butting my head against concurrency and deadlocking issues that were driving me mad. I'm amazed. Congrats to the team for putting together a superb library that has completely redefined the way I think about concurrency. Well done!

I've been using the library as supplied with the Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Express product, that I downloaded a couple of weeks ago to toy with. I now realise that I will probably want to use CCR in a fairly high proportion of production apps, and as such the licensing terms seem to imply a cost of $400.

While the price is not prohibitive, it appears that at some point CCR will be rolled into the main .net offering (.net 4?), and shelling-out $400 for a product that will (as far as I can gather) ultimately be free seems a little weird.

In this post, there seems to be reference to a $2 fee. I assume this applies to shipped applications, so how does this work w.r.t. a server application using CCR? Would it cost me only $2 to write a server app for use only on a single server? How would Microsoft collect the fee?

Can anyone cast light on the roadmap for CCR is, and whether any of my assumptions are incorrect?

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 12:39 AM

Answers

• For what you want to do you need to buy a copy of the CCR and DSS Toolkit. This is precisely why we spun off CCR/DSS as a separate package (in response to user requests).

With the license you get unlimited distribution rights. Previously there was a limit of 200 copies (I think) so it worked out at about $2 per copy. There was never a $2 fee.

As for the future, I can't give you a precise answer for a variety of reasons. There is no guarantee that CCR will become part of .NET even though this is the plan. In fact, it is very unlikely that CCR will be released as part of .NET this year. If you can make sales and/or use it in the meantime, then you can probably recover the cost. I know it seems weird, but as you have already found out it is a powerful piece of software and not an enormous price tag. 

Please visit this site for more info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/ccrdss/

Trevor
    • Marked as answer by biggy_spender Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:56 AM

All replies

• For what you want to do you need to buy a copy of the CCR and DSS Toolkit. This is precisely why we spun off CCR/DSS as a separate package (in response to user requests).

With the license you get unlimited distribution rights. Previously there was a limit of 200 copies (I think) so it worked out at about $2 per copy. There was never a $2 fee.

As for the future, I can't give you a precise answer for a variety of reasons. There is no guarantee that CCR will become part of .NET even though this is the plan. In fact, it is very unlikely that CCR will be released as part of .NET this year. If you can make sales and/or use it in the meantime, then you can probably recover the cost. I know it seems weird, but as you have already found out it is a powerful piece of software and not an enormous price tag. 

Please visit this site for more info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/ccrdss/

Trevor
    • Marked as answer by biggy_spender Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Thanks for the info Trevor.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:52 PM