Square One RRS feed

• Question

• Did I err in purchasing Expression Web 4 to design my web page? I am not a professional. Years ago I used Front Page to pick a template and create a few web pages. Are there templates to start with? Where can I find a tutorial to lead me through starting the program and beginning a new website?
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes there are templates: Site -> New Site -> Templates

Read the BEFORE POSTING sticky on this forum - lots of references to help.

From the sticky thread: Building a Basic Website: http://by-expression.com/media/p/1300.aspx

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Look at the Before Posting sticky thread ( http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/99c95aee-bfe6-4c4d-80d4-8d197194a942 ) -  this contains links to tutorials and other resources.

Templates can be found using Site->New Site and click on Templates

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:06 PM
  • "Did I err in purchasing Expression Web 4 to design my web page?"

No, not by a long shot! EW is a very powerful and flexible application that, once you work with for a while, far exceeds Front Page in terms of capability. Sure, it's not your mother's Front Page, but the Web is not your mother's web any longer.

Take Chris' and Rons' advice and take advantage of the info provided in the "Before Posting" thread. Work through some of the tutorials as you work with EW. You'll be glad you did!

Now, get going, and have some fun learning new skills!

--P

Columbia, CA. USA The Gilded Moon-Sierra Nevada Photography
    "If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:30 PM
  • " I am not a professional. "

You don't need to be.  However, you need to know what you are asking EW to do under the hood.

Do take the time to go through the w3schools.com tutorials on HTML/XHTML and CSS.  They are basic and fast to go through. You want to recognize what the style options EW offers you do, and to recognize what you are looking at in Code View, even if you let EW write it all for you.

Then take the time to watch, then download and work along with, the Basic Site tutorial.  This will get you well started in EW,  is written by Cheryl with FP users in mind, and will save you days of frustration for a few hours' investment.

These resources are among those listed in the Before Posting post, down in the Resources section.

Then, by all means play with the templates that come with EW under the Site menu, and use one as your starting point if you like.

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:39 PM
  • " Sure, it's not your mother's Front Page, but the Web is not your mother's web any longer."

Preston,

This  in my it is what it is  mind is profound and worth acknowledging, I'm just saying.

IMHO,

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:11 PM