none
Error in Visual Studio

Question

• Hello, I dont know if this is the right forum but I have Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition and I am having a problem

When I try to open up "Extensions and Updates" I get an error saying "One or more errors occurred" I cannot seem to find any information on this.. can someone point me in the right direction?

I recently reinstall VS after attempting to install Xamarin and then nothing would work, so i uninstalled, then reinstalled.. ever since then its been erroring out on different things...

Thank you

Bob Anastasia

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob Anastasia,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>When I try to open up "Extensions and Updates" I get an error saying "One or more errors occurred" I cannot seem to find any information on this.. can someone point me in the right direction?

You can go to the Event Viewer (Control PanelàAll Control Panel ItemsàAdministrative ToolsàEvent Viewer), then reproduce this issue and see there has the related error information or not.

When you reinstall the VS, did you met any error or warning message? Now the latest version of VS 2015 community is the VS community 2015 with update 3, please make sure you installed the latest one.

Refer to the error message, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Delete or rename the following folders:

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

2. Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the following commands and after each command, open VS to check this issue again:

• devenv /resetuserdata: clean up the old user data
    • devenv /resetsettings: reset the customized setting to the default setting, if you want to keep the current setting, you need to export it before resetting it, please go to Tool-Import and Export Settings…
    • devenv /safemode: run VS with safe mode

3. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features and right click the VS 2015 and select Change-Repair.

If the above methods not work, I need your help to collect the VS runtime logs, please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt. And upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Hi Sara,

ok after finding out that I infact had no

C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

or

C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

(The trail ended at AppData) I forged ahead and ran a command prompt, ran

devenv /resetuserdata

and it worked!

Thank you for your help....

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:29 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing.

BTW, if you think my reply or your reply is helpful, could you please mark it as answer, that will help other community members who meet the same or similar issue to easier search this information, thank you for your understanding.

If you have any other issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:52 AM