Classic ASP on IIS - Timeout Session not expiring RRS feed

• Question

• I have an classic ASP website on IIS(both IIS 6,and 8) and both perform the same. We've had this issue for years on IIS 5,6,7,8 and never could figure it out. I have a session timeout setting on the IIS application pool of 120 minutes. I do not have a session.timeout setting in any of the ASP code itself. I do have a Session.Abandon in the global.asa file, which works well.

Most of the time if a user is idle for > 120 minutes, it gives them a message that their session has timed out, expires the session and redirects them back to the login page. This is how it should work and 95% of the time is does.

The issue I have is that about 5% of the time, some users seem to be able to keep the session alive beyond the 120 minutes. Some for days.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what could cause this? Some ideas that I thought of are below...but I really don't know.

1. I assume they keep their browsers open for days, but could a user that has a browser window open but sitting idle AND on another TAB of that same browser be active on other websites? Does that activity make the TAB with my application still active/not idle? I've tested this on several environments but not able to replicate.
    2. Some type of software like a URL filter, proxy server or Antivirus could be causing their browser to not be idle?
    3. Of course a user can keep the session idle if they use the app beyond the 2 hours, but it is rather unlikely they do this, especially for days.

Its hard to troubleshoot since the users are all customers with different browsers and environments. So I have no clue if its a certain browser, browser version, or their PC/network environment.

Any ideas?

pablo

• Moved by Barry Wang Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:49 AM Third party IIS
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 5:17 PM

Answers

• As your issue appears to be unrelated to setup of the .NET Framework itself (this forum's topic), I suggest you ask in a topical forum at the IIS forums site, here:

http://forums.iis.net/

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, April 1, 2015 2:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:21 PM

All replies

• As your issue appears to be unrelated to setup of the .NET Framework itself (this forum's topic), I suggest you ask in a topical forum at the IIS forums site, here:

http://forums.iis.net/

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, April 1, 2015 2:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Hello,

forums.iis.net also has a Classic ASP forum.

As Microsoft's IIS forums are on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 2:48 PM