Basic introduction to Studio (Newbie question!) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I'm a designer who has been assigned to work on a GUI for a desktop application together with a team of back end developers - all to be done using Expression Studio and Visual Studio. Though I'm a pretty serious Flash programmer I find this new environment a bit confusing (to say the least) and thus need some serious help in understanding the basics of the whole development process. I kind of get the idea of doing graphical elements in Design, import these into Blend and add some interactivity and animations to them, but then I get really stuck. I've just spent an hour trying to figure out how to enlarge (resize) a video clip when clicking on it in "normal size" mode, and then shrink it back to normal size when clicking on it in enlarged size mode. In Flash I would do that with some variables and if sentences, but in Blend I'm totally lost :) (though I suspect Visual Studio might come in here - or?)

Any kind of pointers to tutorials etc are most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Cristian
    • Moved by Anna Ullrich Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:09 PM mostly about using Blend (From:Expression Studio)
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Cristian,

I'm moving your question to the Blend forum where I think you'll get more replies.

Anna
    http://blogs.msdn.com/anna
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Hi Cristian,

The entire story will take a lot of explaining. So I will help with your specific questions - hope you like what we have to offer, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

With Expression Blend 3, we have added the ability to directly import Photoshop and Illustrator files into Blend (of course, you could use Design and export if you chose that route as well).

Also with Blend 3, we have added the ability to add interactivity to your applications all without you having to write a line of code! http://blogs.msdn.com/expression/archive/2009/05/19/link-round-up-behaviors-related-posts.aspx. In this world, what you want would be as simple as follows:

a) Create a new project
    b) Draw a rectangle
    c) Create a couple of states - call one of them "Normal" and another "Enlarged" - in these states, you can do whatever you want including resizing elements, etc. You can extensively leverage the animation features if you so desire, or even make use of a new feature we are adding to Blend 3 called FluidLayout (not yet available publicly) that let's you do some pretty cool layout animations
    d) Drag and drop a couple of "GotoState" actions and hook them up to trigger upon the click of a button.

That's it!

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:01 AM