please help.... =( RRS feed

• Question

• I have wasted two recordable dvds....

regarding the 90 and 180 trial versions....

The first thing I did was download VS Team Suite.... the site has this .img file listed at 3.3 gigs.... When the download got to 2.0 gigs it acted like it was done downloading and started copying the files like the download was done.... i thought this was no big deal and maybe microsoft meant to say it was 2.0 instead of 3.3.... so i changed the extension to .iso and used sonic to burn a dvd.... the dvd was successfully burnt... i started the installation process from the burnt dvd and it said "Error 1305. Error reading from the file e:\vs\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packagaes\WindowsInstaller3_1\WindwosInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe" it says verify it exists and you can access it 

After this failed attempt I downloaded the Professional edition 90 day trial.... same thing happened as the download stopped at 2.0 again instead of the 2.8 it should have downloaded to.... it said download complete just like the first attempt and copied the files like the download was done.... i repeated the burning and installation out of curiousity and same result

Anyone else having trouble downloading the full 3.3 gigs for team suite or 2.8 for professional edition.... Someone please help.... I have wasted two dvds.... more importantly i have wasted an entire day i could have spent developing

the two .img files for both Professional and Team versions are exactly the same size.... 2.0 gigs.... they should be 3.2 and 2.8.... Someone please help.... but the burned dvds show the proper size but the .img downloaded files are both 2.0??

oh and i know for a fact my internet connection did not go down for either installation and that i am using norton anti-virus during the installation but the installation started so i dont see how that would affect it in the middle of installation.... also i have VS 2003  professional already installed and Visual Basic 05 Express installed

Monday, December 11, 2006 4:06 AM

Answers

• Yes, i was wrong. File size limit is 4GB.

I had a download manager which couldn't download files bigger than 2 GB. It used (i guess) signed 32 bit variable for file size, which couldn't hold 4 GB but 2 GB.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 5:02 PM

All replies

• Disable your anti virus software

• Check to see that your ISP does not have some file size restriction cap/policy

• Tried downloading it at an internet cafe?

• Tried using a download manager to see if it will download it in its complete length?

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:57 PM
  • I think your problem is related with your file system. FAT32 file system has 2 GB file size limit. You must have NTFS file system to have files bigger than 2 GB. You can convert your partitions file system using "convert" in command prompt.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:22 PM
  •  seckinemre wrote:
    I think your problem is related with your file system. FAT32 file system has 2 GB file size limit. You must have NTFS file system to have files bigger than 2 GB. You can convert your partitions file system using "convert" in command prompt.

As far as I know the maximum file size on FAT32 is a theoritcal 2^32 (4GB) but agreed NTFS is a better file format than FAT32. About the problem, when you download the image doesn't the Microsoft File Transfer Manager window pops open?

Friday, December 15, 2006 10:06 PM
  • Yes, i was wrong. File size limit is 4GB.

I had a download manager which couldn't download files bigger than 2 GB. It used (i guess) signed 32 bit variable for file size, which couldn't hold 4 GB but 2 GB.

Saturday, December 16, 2006 5:02 PM