Windows 8 compatibility with Click-To-Run based version of Office 2010

Question

• Certain editions of Office 2010 such as Home and Business and Home and Student are available in both - MSI style installers and Click-To-Run (which is based on Microsoft's awesome App-V). But these Click-To-Run based versions of Office 2010 currently fail to install on Windows 8 Developer Preview. MSI version of Office installs fine. It's because Windows 8 has version number 6.2 which is why the Click-To-Run-based version stops the installation (after finding it's not NT 6.0 or 6.1). Will there be compatibility in the beta for these editions or will I be forced to use an MSI installer?

I was told by Microsoft compatibility people that this is a known issue and that they are aware of it. What I would like to know is will the Windows 8 beta and RTM work with these editions?

Also, whenever Microsoft fixes this, please fix it in a way that it doesn't break again on future release of Windows AGAIN like Windows 9, 10.

• Edited by xpclient Friday, January 13, 2012 3:08 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think there will be updates for Click and Run and App-V (maybe 4.7 beta) to make them Windows 8 compatible. You have to wait and use the MSI installed versions until there is an update.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Where can I download a MSI installed version of Office 2010?  I have my product key purchased, but I can't get any of the Microsoft Sites to let me download it with Windows 8 since they appear to all use the "Click to Run" app.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 5:23 PM
  • A Microsoft Tech helped me find a MSI downloadable version of Office 2010.

In the "run" box  type - iexplore http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/office2010/X16-32007.exe 

From there you should be able to view and track your download. 

This installed Office 2010 perfectly on a Windows 8 developer system for me.

Monday, January 2, 2012 10:24 PM