Save App Settings ( Which way is better ??? ) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all ...

I want to take your opinion about which way is better to save my application settings.

My app consists of (CheckBoxs - Tab Pages - ListBoxs - Add & Remove Buttons - etc ) , and when the user make changes to these properties , Is it better to save these changes to my app settings - XML - when changes happen to any of these controls value ?? or to add "Save Settings" option in the main menu ??

Your comments,Ideas and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:26 AM

Answers

• Many thanks Joel for your reply , I really appreciate it.

I'v been thinking about this way :

Dim ChangesHappened as Boolean ' Change value based on controls changes events.

If form Deactiviate Event happened And ChangesHappened = True Then

MsgBox ("Would you like to save changes")

If the user choosed Yes   Then Save changes to Settings.XML , ChangesHappened = False

If the user choosed No    Then Reload settings from Settings.XML, ChangesHappened = False

End If

Because I feel that it will be easier for the user to make changes , and just answer with Yes or No , rather than openin a menu and choose "Save" option.

But I got a problem with that code , If the user opened any Dialog "Save - Open - Contacts"

it will raise the event of  "Form_Deactiviate".

What do you think about this issue ???

Many thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:20 PM

All replies

• The question is a little philisophical and may be influenced by your knowledge of your user's expectations. My preference is to follow Jef Raskin's advice. His thoughts were that changes should automatically be saved but also be undoable so that if a user accidentally changes something it can be easily saved back. But so many Windows Mobile programs have an explicit save or OK/Cancel button pair so that may be the expectation of your users.
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Many thanks Joel for your reply , I really appreciate it.

I'v been thinking about this way :

Dim ChangesHappened as Boolean ' Change value based on controls changes events.

If form Deactiviate Event happened And ChangesHappened = True Then

MsgBox ("Would you like to save changes")

If the user choosed Yes   Then Save changes to Settings.XML , ChangesHappened = False

If the user choosed No    Then Reload settings from Settings.XML, ChangesHappened = False

End If

Because I feel that it will be easier for the user to make changes , and just answer with Yes or No , rather than openin a menu and choose "Save" option.

But I got a problem with that code , If the user opened any Dialog "Save - Open - Contacts"

it will raise the event of  "Form_Deactiviate".

What do you think about this issue ???

Many thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:20 PM