none
custom controller. what is required to make one compatable RRS feed

• Question

• Greeting everyone. I apologise in advance if i have posted this query in the wrong forum.

I have been thinking the past few weeks about making a custom controller/panel. (for such things as driving,flying games etc)

i have a plan of my hardware,circuit etc. with nobs, buttons, sliders and mini joysticks.

Before i start to build i figured i'd pop into Microsoft and find out what sort of 'programming' would be required, would i need a driver etc etc. what do normal Xbox/PS controller use to make the OS recognise them as a 'controller'?

as you can see i don't really know much about this side of things, but I'm willing to read and learn.

I would be most appreciative if the community here could point me in the correct direction to start off my project.

kindest regards,

Marcus

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:39 PM

Answers

• One of the biggest benefits of using HID is that you will not need a host driver. If your joysticks use the standard HID joystick descriptors, then the generic host driver will be used allowing the joystick to act like a pointing input device (conversely, if you don't want your joystick to be captured by the system input thread, then do NOT use the standard HID descriptors for the joystick; use vendor-defined).

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

• Marked as answer by marcuspeake Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:30 AM
  • Hi Marcus,

I would recommend that you start with the USB HID specification at http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/

If your final device meets this specification it should work on any HID compliant platform.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

I would recommend that you start with the USB HID specification at http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/

If your final device meets this specification it should work on any HID compliant platform.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:05 PM
  • One of the biggest benefits of using HID is that you will not need a host driver. If your joysticks use the standard HID joystick descriptors, then the generic host driver will be used allowing the joystick to act like a pointing input device (conversely, if you don't want your joystick to be captured by the system input thread, then do NOT use the standard HID descriptors for the joystick; use vendor-defined).

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:30 AM