Clean install asking for CD/DVD device driver

Question

• I am in the process of doing clean install. After clicking install now, the installation did hardware scan and said a required CD/DVD device needs a driver, and asking me to locate the driver.

Not sure what it is because it is a netbook without CD/DVD-ROM. Is there any workaround or way to bypass this?

Appreciate the help

• Edited by Philliphs Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:43 AM

Answers

• Cleared the problem. I was installing from USB pendrive. Apparently it tried to look for the driver for the pendrive.

Installed from USB harddrive and it works fine

• Marked as answer by Philliphs Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:25 AM

All replies

• Nevermind. It's the AHCI driver. Just wondering if Windows 8 does not support AHCI natively.

I'm using Asus 1215N by the way

• Proposed as answer by Stefan 000000 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Philliphs Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Turns out not the AHCI. back to zero again
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Cleared the problem. I was installing from USB pendrive. Apparently it tried to look for the driver for the pendrive.

Installed from USB harddrive and it works fine

• Marked as answer by Philliphs Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Hi, I have a similar problem. I'm trying to install the 32 bit build on an Asus Aspire One using a USB flashdrive. Could you clarify your solution a bit?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Instead of installing from USB flashdrive, I used USB harddrive.

Apparently Windows 8 did not recognize my USB and asking for a driver. It did however recognized my USB harddrive. Let me know if you need info on how to transfer the ISO to USB harddrive.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, all I have with me is my USB flashdrive. I was hoping to just find the driver for the USB somewhere and direct the installer to that. Otherwise, do you know if there's a way to make my flashdrive look like it's a harddrive?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Ah, thank goodness, someone with the same problem as me. I think I have the same netbook too (D255 with N550?). I'm going to try formatting the USB key as NTFS to see if that gets around it, will report back.

EDIT: Ah, no good. NTFS and an actual USB HDD still left windows asking for CD/DVD drivers. Think I'll stick with my perfectly functioning netbook for the time being.

• Edited by AltDimension Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:34 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Did you try switching away from AHCI when installing from the Harddrive?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:42 AM
  • Hi!

I try to make bootable USB HDD to install Win8. An app http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool did allow me to burn any .iso to my WD USB HDD. I have no possibility to select my USB HDD.

I tried to format it into NTFS, FAT32, exFat but no good result.

How to install Win8 with USB HDD?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:08 AM