Create new record with custom New Data Screen from AutoComplete RRS feed

• Question

• I see bits and pieces of what I'm need to accomplish but nothing exactly what I'm trying to do.

I'm building an application that allows a dispatcher to create and track loads.  A load could have up to 3 different types of customers involved, Broker, Shipper & Receiver.

I have 3 relationships in the Load table for to a Customer table for all 3 of the aforementioned entities.

A customer can have multiple contacts as well as other information so I created a new data screen which allows editing and new records.  (Customer is linked to other tables like a contact table so the edit screen can't just be the fields from the Customer table.)

Ideally what I would like to do is have a new modal type window show which would use the custom CreateCustomer screen I've created which allows a user to enter in all the info they need about the customer, address, contacts etc.

When they close, it will create the record and then use the selected customer to populate appropriate fields on the Load screen.  Also, it will take the highlighted contact from the CreateCustomer screen and use that to populate the appropriate phone number, address, fax number etc for either a broker, shipper or receiver.

Right now the best I've been able to come up with is loading the screen as a tab which I don't like and then I use MVVM Light commands to pass the record.  However, the original screen sometimes updates and sometimes it does not.

Again, ideally I'd like to load my create screen in a modal and when it closes process everything to make it simple for the user.

I'm looking for links to where somebody else may have already tackled this problem.

Thanks

kfrost

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:53 PM