Scrolling and few more things to consider

General discussion

• Ok I already posted charm menu suggestion, but I have a few more.

First of all, I havent tested it out when I had developer preview installed. But I hope that ctrl+scroll can be used for scrolling in and out in start screen for zooming out and back in. Also the same principle can be applied in "all apps" section for switching between bigger more detailed view and view from far with more apps fitting on screen.

As I posted before, getting all apps list from search is not handy. I suggest a "->" button to be added to start screen the way windows phone is. And the reverse button added to all apps list.

Most mice these days have horizontal scrolling by extra wheel or by titling the wheel. So tilting wheel in start screen can open the all apps list, and get back to start screen! Fast and easy!

It is a shame Windows Media center in win7 did not suppost horizontal mouse scrolling.

The power of scrolling is huge, so implement it well please. The keyboard scrolling must also be implemented wisely. Thats the only way you can get nice metro support on non-touch devices.

I havent seen the metro task bar with open apps and the ability to close apps, so I will not post any suggestions on those yet. I will wait for the beta and hope they are well done.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:00 PM

All replies

• I hope that ctrl+scroll can be used for scrolling in and out in start screen for zooming out and back in.

Also the same principle can be applied in "all apps" section for switching between bigger more detailed view and view from far with more apps fitting on screen.

Thanks for this.   Ctrl+Roll in the Search pane = Semantic Zoom!   I was wondering what they were providing for non-Touch users for that feature.   ; )

If you haven't seen a demo of it yet I highly recommend watching the Build video on the "Touch Language".   (I don't know how to provide a link to it.  Just do a Build search for that phrase.)  Apparently the build that we have is not quite as advanced as some of the builds the presenters were using.   ; }

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:15 AM