Version 4 RRS feed

All replies

• Cool!
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:25 AM
  • A bit of good news to lighten the economic gloom........

Andrew C.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:39 AM
  • I can't see any mention of this on the UK site.  Let's hope the same will apply here!
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:15 AM
  • When v4 will be available isn't mentioned nor what it will cost when v4 comes out but I'd still call the above good news for us.

It sounds like EW4 is iminent, perhaps no more than a month or so. Upgrade policies like this are usually not posted until the company has a good idea of when the new release will come and that date is close, and the reason is usually to prevent current sales from drying up too soon.

So this is probably doubly good news - free upgrade and any day now!

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:09 PM
  • I wouldn't suggest holding your breath unless you want to expire before the next version comes out.

If you want a WAG (Wild Arsed Guess) is the release timing will have something to do with Silverlight 4 & ASP.NET 4 release but I'm not sure when those are scheduled for release either or if it is even set in stone yet.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:53 PM
  • "Upgrade policies like this are usually not posted until the company has a good idea of when the new release will come and that date is close, and the reason is usually to prevent current sales from drying up too soon.

So this is probably doubly good news - free upgrade and any day now!"

Don't assume this.  What is needed to make a decision about a free upgrade for EW3 users is knowing the level of productivity-impacting bugs remaining in EW3, and making a marketing decision about the cost vs the impact on customer happiness/loyalty.  Announcing such an upgrade policy would be done as soon as possible of course.

But what is needed to set a release date is knowing when the release is done, tested, and ready, and how it coordinates (if it does) with other product releases.

Two very different things.  The upgrade announcement does not imply anything about the schedule for EW4 release.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:56 PM