Metadata for Instance missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We are trying to use SQL Server 2008 for notification service. When we try to enable notification instance we are getting following error.

The metadata for the instance was not found. Verify that the instance name is correct or repair the metadata for the instance.Instance Name: ConfigurationManagement

We get above error irrspective of Server version (2005 /2008) we are using.  Also we are getting this error for all following nscontrol commands

repair
    export 
    delete 
    status 
    upgrade

Our question is How can we update metadata for intance or delete intance all together so that we can recreate it?

Please note: before upgrading to SQL Server 2005 SP3, notification service instance in question was working perfectly fine.
    System Configuration: SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 and Notification Service all are on same system.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Guptamool -

Notification Services isn't supported in SQL Server 2008. At one time the Notification Services Components Package allowed Notification Services to be used with a SQL Server 2008 instance as I described in my old blog site (http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/joew/archive/2008/09/10/60708.aspx ), but I haven't been able to find the components recently.

Here's a link to another thread that may help too - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlnotificationservices/thread/3f2dbd91-f223-411d-9c66-07be3ffcfed2/

Hope this helps.

Joe

Joe Webb, SQL Server MVP | http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/joew/
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Thanks for reply Joe,

Now due to above mess up I have come into another problem. Instance ConfiguraitonManagement is now fully corrupted and I am unable to delete it . I have uninstalled Sql Server 2005 and notification service twice but still after new installation when I run listversions command I can see the instance. I have  also tried forcefully deleting instance but command is giving following error:

nscontrol.exe delete -force -name  ConfigurationManagement -server sql2005
    Microsoft Notification Services Control Utility 9.0.242.0
    c Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Notification Services failed to get the metadata for the specified instance.
    Instance Name: ConfigurationManagement
    SqlServerError:
      Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
      Number: 53
      State: 0
      Class: 20
      Server:
      Message: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establish
    ing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible.
    Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to al
    low remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not o
    pen a connection to SQL Server)
      Procedure:
      Line Number: 0

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a conne
    ction to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that
     the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote
    connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a conne
    ction to SQL Server)

Problem is I need to create a notification instance with simillar name but before I can create it I need to delete this one.

Please help me with this. Is there any other way to delete instance.

Amool
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:25 AM