none
Display LVDS Panel with Advantech SOM RRS feed

• Question

• I'm fairly new to WES7 Image building however, I have been able to successfully create Images.  This new project however is giving me some trouble and thought I would ask the experts.

I have an Advantech SOM-7568 (Pentium N3710) that I'm using an LVDS LCD panel from NLT with.  My challenge is that after the BIOS boots (Which I can see just fine) all I get is a blank screen with a few random pixels illuminated at the top, then it goes completely blank.  I have tried many thing to rectify the problem with no success.  This is happening when I'm trying to install the image onto the SOM's eMMC flash memory.  There is no image on the device it is completely blank.

1) I've taken the display driver that Advantech posts on their site and injected it into the boot.wim file but have the same result, a blank screen.  I did inject it into Pass 1 and 2 of the boot.wim.

2) I've added it to install.wim as well. 

3) I've opened the driver INF file and modified the DTD_1 codes to match what my display requires. No luck here.

4) Also opened the driver INF and modified the default resolution for EDID and (I'm forgetting the other area) both to the displays resolution and refresh rate. Still no luck.

After all the mods, I've always injected the driver into the boot.wim in pass 1 and 2.  I'm also injecting the USB drivers as this time as I'm installing from a bootable USB drive.  I've verified that it boots to windows setup by placing it into a PC and It works fine. 

I'm wondering the process windows goes through and how it loads drivers such as the display drivers, and how does it know to use a particular INF file to setup hardware (Display).  Does it go through the entire boot.wim and setup everything that's in it?  Is there an "order of operations" that needs to be followed in the Boot.wim to make sure it finds my driver i.e. load USB drivers first than load display drivers etc.?  Am I missing a step?  Am I doing the setup completely wrong?

Any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated!  I'm pretty stuck right now.

Have a good day!

Brandon

Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:13 PM

Answers

• Sean/Willi,

I really appreciate the suggestions.  I was able to get it to work with the suggestion that Willi mentioned.  Changing the display to "Legacy" mode fixed the problem.  Sure grateful for the help!

Sean, 

As far as WES7, I will talk with my client about that.  I appreciate the suggestion.  I'll see what their thoughts are on that!

Hope you both are having a great weekend!

Brandon

• Marked as answer by BTaylor147 Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:11 PM
    Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:11 PM

All replies

• The SOM module looks to support HDMI/Display port. Can you connect a monitor to this port and see the OS installer running? Check the firmware to make dual video output. If you can install the OS, then load the driver for LDVS. There might be some panel timing that needs to be adjusted.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:14 PM
  • This could also be an UEFI thing. I noticed a similar behaviour while installing WE10 IoT on an Atom based system. In my case I needed to set the Video Controller to "Legacy Mode" (instead of UEFI) in the CSM options of the BIOS in order to get proper output on the screen.

Friday, July 20, 2018 7:38 AM
  • Sean,

I've tried this with their development system.  Unfortunately the same result.  I've reported this to the Advantech, and still waiting their reply.  I really appreciate your response.

Brandon 

Friday, July 20, 2018 1:45 PM
  • Willi,

I'm not sure I have this option however, I will look into it a little later.  

I appreciate the suggestions!  I'll let you know what I find.

Brandon

Friday, July 20, 2018 1:46 PM
  • All,

Some other information that might be helpful.  Advantech did give me a Windows 10 IOT image that does work and will install.  The display works with no issues.  I tried getting the display driver out of the IOT Boot.wim file by using 7zip and then injecting it back into my WES7 image.  No luck, maybe my process was wrong or its not compatible with Windows 10 IOT?  Their display driver was different than what I expected, it was a BasicDisplay.inf instead of the one that's on Advantechs website.

I guess my question is, is there something that would be useful in the IOT image that I could get to put in the WES7 image?  I only have the install, no answer files or distributions share.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Brandon

Friday, July 20, 2018 2:34 PM
  • This is Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, correct?

Lets uses a different process. With Windows 10 running on the target system, open command prompt with admin privileges and run the following:

dism /online /Export-Driver /Destination:<path to a folder>

You will have a bunch of subfolders with device drivers. You should be able to locate the video driver.

Also, please be aware that WES7 has an end-of-life date:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%20Embedded%20Standard%207 

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, July 21, 2018 1:03 AM
  • Sean/Willi,

I really appreciate the suggestions.  I was able to get it to work with the suggestion that Willi mentioned.  Changing the display to "Legacy" mode fixed the problem.  Sure grateful for the help!

Sean, 

As far as WES7, I will talk with my client about that.  I appreciate the suggestion.  I'll see what their thoughts are on that!

Hope you both are having a great weekend!

Brandon

• Marked as answer by BTaylor147 Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:11 PM
    Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:11 PM