When adding 2nd Node to SQL 2008 R2 Failover Clustering, service account name not populated.. RRS feed

• Question

• Because of the account name not populated (and i can't manually change it also), i can't proceed. Pls help! How does the installation program grab the account name from the first node? Any hack or workaround? Thanks
    • Edited by Brandon Kho Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What service pack are you running? Are you running the installation whilst logged on as a local admin account? If so please with a domain account that has administrator rights to the cluster nodes and try again.

You could also try running the installation from the CLI

E:\setup.exe /q /ACTION=AddNode /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms=true /INSTANCENAME="MSSQLSERVER" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="domainSqlService" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="superduperdifficultpassword" /ASSVCACCOUNT="domainSqlService" /ASSVCPASSWORD="superduperdifficultpassword" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="domainSqlAgentService" /AGTSVCPASSWORD="anothersuperduperdifficultpassword"

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:17 AM
  • If the command line installation doesn't work, look in the Failover Cluster Manager the SQL Server Agent Resource, right click and Properties, then in the Properties tab check if the Value of VirtualServerName and InstanceName are correct.

Fran Lens http://es.linkedin.com/in/franlens

Please remember click the Mark as Answer button if a post helps you to solve the problem
    • Proposed as answer by ElDoroCapitano Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Install at the command line using the unattended installation for the SQL cluster node.

This is the scrubbed version of the command we used to install the node:

C:> F:setup.exe /q /ACTION=AddNode /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms=true /INSTANCENAME="MSSQLSERVER" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="domainSqlService" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="superduperdifficultpassword" /ASSVCACCOUNT="domainSqlService" /ASSVCPASSWORD="superduperdifficultpassword" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="domainSqlAgentService" /AGTSVCPASSWORD="anothersuperduperdifficultpassword"

Other installations may require specifying more parameters.
     This command will list all of the parameters available to you:

C:> F:setup.exe /?
    Mark as Answer button if a post helps you to solve the problem
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:15 PM
  • The SQL agent is misconfigured. Either added as generic res or the peroperties are not set correctly.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/5049fc44-0f44-4caf-9c5a-282edf30d878

Thanks - Vijay Sirohi
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:32 PM
    Answerer