Shortcut will not be shown after switch to standard user account newer created.

Question

• Dears,

I met a problem about the shortcut on Metro UI.

1. Setup installer with the default Adminstrator user.
    2. Check the shortcuts both exist on desktop in desktop mode and Metro Mode.
    3. Create a new standard user account and log in
    4. Check the shortcuts, the shortcut on desktop is there, but when click the start button and switch to MetroUI, 
    found that the shortcut disppeared.

Could you help to confirm if it's the expected behavior? If it's a bug of install itself, how to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Annie

AnnieLiu

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi AnnieLiu,

the issue seems to suggest that the Metro Screen is User specific while the desktop is not.

As a standard user, please try clicking on Search in Charms menu (you can do this by taking your pointer to the extreme left corner of your screen and holding it there) while in Metro Mode , you will have a alphabeticaaly arranged list of all your installed apps. If the apps whose short cuts are missing from Metro, are there, try to right click the app, and click on Pin on the lower right side of your screen.

If that doesn't help, go to Control Panel, User accounts and Family Safety, User accounts, try changing account type. I don't really know the solution, I'm just looking for one, like you.

Irfan

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi Irfanfare,

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct and Metro screen seems be user specific.  I can pin my application to start for different users. But I didn't find the folder location to put the shortcut of the pinned for start. It seems can't find them under the path below again.

%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned

Have you find the location already? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Annie Liu

AnnieLiu

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Hi AnnieLiu,

try looking for apps location through the Task Manager, right click the desired app in the Task Manager, select Open file location, you may see a warning You have been denied permission to access this folder, click on security tab to gain access. My Weather app was shown to be located at C:\Program Files\Applications.

Irfan

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Hi again,AnnieLiu,

here's a link that may be useful to you in getting access to the folders you were seeking:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/9d401f14-0652-4e42-b78b-843aa9a36a38

Irfan

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:16 PM