Help needed to create a custom control using Interfaces RRS feed

• Question

• User-67435916 posted

I am a beginner level web programmer and have basic understanding of C#, ASP.net. As I am currently learning the real-world usage of .Net Interfaces, I need help in creating a custom control which I believe would require usage of Interfaces.

The custom control I want to create is to display a list of upcoming events in a company or organization. The display would be more like an RSS reader. The control should provide the following functionalities:

• Display list of upcoming events with event title, short description (limited characters) and date of event
    • Load/save data into a given table where table schema and database connection are provided by the implementing class.

Would greatly appreciate, if anyone can help me to get started here. Also if similar question has already been answered in any other thread, please re-direct me to that.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:58 PM

Answers

• User3866881 posted

For RSS,you should create a database to store these info by adding title,brief desc,date/time……ect。

and then try to output your aspx file just the form of rss feed for others to order。

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:50 AM

All replies

• User1838151321 posted

Hi Jarnail, Your custom control have to load the data (ok sure), and save too?

To Load data you can derive your control from a Datalist or Gridview control, specializing his funcionality to get data from your table.

But simplier you can use those controls as is...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:48 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Hello jarnail:)

Considering it that you are a newbie,maybe you should learn how to make a standard Web Server control first:You should know more about the cycle of ASP.NET's page life,and a lot of things。

Now your problem and solution can be found at:

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/102903-1.aspx

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:54 PM
  • User-67435916 posted

Hello Decker,

Thanks for your reply and for your suggestions. I have been working on ASP.Net from couple of years and still consider myself a novice as my experience limits to accessing database using ADO.net or from code behind, using common controls such as Listview, Gridview etc. Also I have used web server controls in few projects.

Unfortunately, the link you provided doesn't answer my question as my question relates to building a custom web control which will display information like RSS reader : title, brief desc, date/time (please note I don't want a RSS reader). The idea is to have a web control which will only need datatable schema and data connection as inputs (limited to sql server client only) to display information and it will provide basic database manipulation functions (insert, delete, update) . This way I won't have to write code again if I need this kind of contol on a different web page or web project.

I am not expecting to have complete code for this as I just need an idea how this can be done.

Thank you. 

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:34 AM
  • User3866881 posted

For RSS,you should create a database to store these info by adding title,brief desc,date/time……ect。

and then try to output your aspx file just the form of rss feed for others to order。

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:50 AM