Understand why BizTalk does NOT support MultiSubnetFailOver=true in Availability groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

one of our clients is implementing BizTalk with SQL AG Groups, although there is no gain compared to traditional approach, they are moving to keep it uniform as other applications also moving to AG.

Now the question is, What makes BizTalk unable to use MultiSubnetFailOver=true

BizTalk documentation only says it is not support, but we are looking for a clear explanation.

Could someone help me to understand it?

Please mark the post as answer if this answers your question. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:50 AM

Answers

• No, you don't owe the DBA's anything.
    The reason is Microsoft does not support this option with BizTalk Server.  End of story.

To be clear, you will never find the reason short of tracking down the former Program Manager for OLE DB.  Even then, the specific reason may be lost to time or simply OLE DB predate this option so there was nothing to support to begin with.

• Marked as answer by Ravindar Thati Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:09 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 1:11 PM

All replies

• It's because internally, BizTalk Server uses the 'older' OLE DB stack which does not support MultiSubnetFailOver.

Why?  Because it's older and, well, just doesn't.  :)

There will be no way around this.

It's documented here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/core/high-availability-using-sql-server-always-on-availability-groups

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:35 PM
  • Thanks John for the response.

We already configured BizTalk with SQL AG groups in our test environments and playing around the setting MultiSubnetFailover.

When it is True, the connection is lost for every few minutes, quite frequently. So it's connects rarely, it's not that it doesn't work at all, but many times it doesn't as the connection is lost.

We are anyway going to set it to false in production, but as we need to provide a solid reason with explanation, i am after it.

Please mark the post as answer if this answers your question. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:14 AM
  • No, you don't owe the DBA's anything.
    The reason is Microsoft does not support this option with BizTalk Server.  End of story.

To be clear, you will never find the reason short of tracking down the former Program Manager for OLE DB.  Even then, the specific reason may be lost to time or simply OLE DB predate this option so there was nothing to support to begin with.

• Marked as answer by Ravindar Thati Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:09 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 1:11 PM
  • Thanks John. Well said.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:08 AM