ToolkitScriptManager and UpdatePanel RRS feed

• Question

• User-1614179942 posted

I have a Master / Detail pages  project and uses UpdatePanel to avoid the "flickering" of the screen when changing detail pages. This works very fine. When I apply a ToolkitScriptManager to the Master page then the whole project starts to "flicker" when I change Detail pages or just click on a Button on a Detail page. If I remove the ToolkitScriptManager and use the standard ScriptManager then the project crach with the following error codes:

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to get property 'UI' of undefined or null reference

$create(Sys.Extended.UI.CalendarBehavior, {"button":$get("ContentPlaceHolder1_cmdCalendar"),"id":"ContentPlaceHolder1_ajxCalendarExtender1"}, null, null, $get("ContentPlaceHolder1_txtNoteBookDate"));

I use Visual Studio 2013 with the version 4.5.7.1005 of AjaxControlToolkit located in the bin folder. I have explored most of the suggestions on the Forum but no one gets close to solve the problem. What to do? Is there a problem with the ToolkitScriptManager and I just have to wait for a new release?

Lennart Hoglund

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:10 AM

Answers

• User-1614179942 posted

Apperently ToolkitScriptManager version 4.5.7.1005 is not ready for prime time for all functionalities. I have down-graded to version 4.5.7.0607 and now everything works fine.

Lennart Hoglund

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 12:49 PM

All replies

• User2103319870 posted

Hi,

Please try the solution suggested in below link

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:18 AM
  • User-1614179942 posted

Thanks for your suggestion. However, entering CombineScript="false" in ToolkitScriptManager does not solve the problem with "flickering" of the pages. There is still a a full-page postback every time a control is clicked. This is something I try to avoid by using UpdatePanel. A modern application with Master and Detail pages should not have a full-page postback when UpdatePanel is used. Partial-page rendering improves the user experience because it reduces the screen flicker that occurs during a full-page postback and improves Web page interactivity. However, this is not working with the current latest version of the ToolkitScriptManager.

Best regards, Lennart Hoglund

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:02 PM
  • User-1614179942 posted

Hi Chetan,

Thanks for your reply and your suggestion. But this rather old references does not solve the problem with the current  ToolkitScriptManager, 4.5.7.1005, it simply don't allow UpdatePanel to work in a proper way.

Thanks, Lennart Hoglund

Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:07 AM
  • User-417640953 posted

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to get property 'UI' of undefined or null reference

Hi,

I'm glad to you post the issue to asp.net forum.

This error message indicates there are some relative javascript file or method not loaded in the aspx page.

In an ASP.NET AJAX application, the client behavior of controls is defined by using JavaScript files.

Typically, a single JavaScript file defines the client behavior for a single control. If a Web page contains several controls,

the browser must download several JavaScript files. For your issue, I suggest you try to use the CompositeScript to combine those

javascript file into a single script file.

<asp:ToolkitScriptManager ID="ToolkitScriptManager1" runat="server">
                <CompositeScript>
                    <Scripts>
                        <asp:ScriptReference Path="~/Scripts/Script1.js" />
    		<asp:ScriptReference Path="~/Scripts/Script2.js" />
    		<asp:ScriptReference Path="~/Scripts/Script3.js" /> 
                    </Scripts>
                </CompositeScript>
    </asp:ToolkitScriptManager>

If you still cannot solve it. Please make a simple demo or share some code with us. And let us reproduce your scenes.

Then we will provide further solution. Thanks.

Best Regards!

Friday, November 29, 2013 2:20 AM
  • User-1614179942 posted

Hi Fuxiang,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunally, adding <CompositeScript> to the ToolkitScriptManager resulted in the following error:

Failed to register URL "http://localhost:49393/" for site "Lewab Solutions(1)" application "/". Error description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (0x80070020)

This is my code in the Master page:

<ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" EnableScriptGlobalization="True">

<CompositeScript>

<Scripts>

<asp:ScriptReference Name="jquery" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="bootstrap" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="respond" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="WebForms.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/WebForms.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="WebUIValidation.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/WebUIValidation.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="MenuStandards.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/MenuStandards.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="GridView.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/GridView.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="DetailsView.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/DetailsView.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="TreeView.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/TreeView.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="WebParts.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/WebParts.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="Focus.js" Path="~/Scripts/WebForms/Focus.js" />

<asp:ScriptReference Name="WebFormsBundle" />

</Scripts>

</CompositeScript>

</ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager>

I will produce sample of the project for testing.

Best regards, Lennart Hoglund

Friday, November 29, 2013 10:13 AM
  • User-1614179942 posted

Apperently ToolkitScriptManager version 4.5.7.1005 is not ready for prime time for all functionalities. I have down-graded to version 4.5.7.0607 and now everything works fine.

Lennart Hoglund

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 29, 2013 12:49 PM