Device Download Limitation for a given LiveID RRS feed

• Question

• Will there be any way that I, as a developer/software publisher, will be able to indicate that my free app or paid app can be installed on as many different Windows 8 PCs as desired for a given LiveID?

Particularly for a free app I write, it seems to me ridiculous to forcibly limit a given user from being able to access and use it on more than your currently stated 5-PC limit. For example, I already today find myself sitting down and actively using *seven* different PCs on a daily basis with a few others less frequently. (Thank goodness for Live Mesh & OneNote.) I'd like to make it possible for users of my app (whether free or paid) to use it on however many Windows 8 PCs they log into with their LiveID.

BTW, my assumption here when discussing this scenario with paid apps is that when a given user buys an app for his LiveID and uses it on his PC, it is not available to other users on that PC. Correct?

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Vaughn H,

Both free and paid apps behave in the same manner. They can be installed on up to 5 devices that have been tied to a LiveID. You cannot configure the number of devices that can be registered but you will have the ability to manage the registered devices that are associated to that LiveID by removing one device and adding a new one if needed. Additionally on a shared PC, the Metro Style Apps that are purchased for a LiveID are isolated from other LiveID accounts on that shared PC.

Thank you for the additional feedback you provided on the number of registered devices. I will share this information with the team.

Thanks!

Dawn

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Vaughn H,

Both free and paid apps behave in the same manner. They can be installed on up to 5 devices that have been tied to a LiveID. You cannot configure the number of devices that can be registered but you will have the ability to manage the registered devices that are associated to that LiveID by removing one device and adding a new one if needed. Additionally on a shared PC, the Metro Style Apps that are purchased for a LiveID are isolated from other LiveID accounts on that shared PC.

Thank you for the additional feedback you provided on the number of registered devices. I will share this information with the team.

Thanks!

Dawn

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:14 PM
  • Dawn,

Is there or is there not a 30 day waiting, i.e. change lock-out, period required between removing or adding devices? Or is this limitation not apply to developers?

Br,

Tyrone

• Edited by TyR60 Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:01 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Hi Tyrone,

That information is not available at this time.  You can find the latest information regarding Windows 8 and Metro style app development at the following links:

Thanks!

Dawn

Friday, February 17, 2012 12:06 AM
  • hi,

I did an experiment that I want to know how many PCs one app can on it with one LiveID. The result is I can install an free app from Windows Store on Windows 8 CP more then "five" different PCs!

The behavior isn't correspond with Microsoft claimed "One app can be installed on up to 5 devices that have been tied to a LiveID".

Is this behavior of Windows Store still not available in the Consumer Preview phase?

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:32 AM