Unable to open the symmetric keys encrypted by asymmetric key on Windows Server 2012 platform RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 on Windows 2012 Server and trying to integrate our Luna HSM using our Luna EKM. I have found that everything is working fine ( keys generation, keys deletion, encryption and decryption) except when I am trying to open a symmetric key that is encrypted by the asymmetric key on Luna HSM. below is the query and SQL Server response I am getting when executing the query:

OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY key1 DECRYPTION BY Asymmetric key SQL_EKM_RSA_2048_Key

Msg 15273, Level 16, State 7, Line 1
    The decryption key is incorrect.

I have tested the Microsoft SQL Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 with Luna EKM and I am able to open the key and use this key for encryption/decryption but not on Windows Server 2012.

Anyone has any idea why this error is coming on Windows Server 2012 platform.

Monday, April 22, 2013 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Safenet,

Any progress?

Use T-SQL command:

OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY Key_name DECRYPTION BY <decryption_mechanism>
    <decryption_mechanism> ::=ASYMMETRIC KEY asym_key_name [ WITH PASSWORD = 'password' ]

OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY(Transact-SQL): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190499.aspx.

Thanks.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Maggie Luo
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:34 AM
  • No success at all, this error comes on Windows Server 2012 platform only, I have checked at Windows Server 2008 R2 and I am able to open the key.

Thanks,

Safenet

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Hi Safenet,

I recommend you post the thread in Windows Server Forum and you could receive better and quicker support.

Thanks.

Maggie Luo
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Maggie Luo Monday, May 6, 2013 10:00 AM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 9:57 AM