none
Error: Invalid column name RRS feed

  • Question

  • In the not-so-wonderful world of Microsoft and their "we have no idea what we're doing", I'm hitting a truly annoying issue.

    I'm creating a tabular model for Azure in which it pulls data from database views. Initially in one of the views, I had spelt a column name incorrectly so corrected the view and re-pulled the data to the model. During the process of re-pulling the data, it did notify me of name not existing blah-blah but expected that to disappear once I had populated with the new load. The new column name displays correctly but when I go back to Source Data -> Design, I get the same error telling me of an invalid column name concerning a column that no longer exists.

    When checking in a text editor, the model.bim file had no reference to the invalid column name while the model.layout.bim did. So I manually changed this file to remove all instances of the invalid column name (changing to what it is now called) but alas, it still gives the same error.

    With these being the only two files, I can only guess either somewhere in the larger layout file, there is some encoding or it's cached somewhere (I've closed Visual Studio and re-opened but not sure if that suffices or there's somewhere I need to clear)

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Monday, November 25, 2019 10:00 PM

All replies

  • OK, think I've got around it... why it insisted on the column I don't know (does it store the powerquery in any different manner that stops it being searchable?) but I discovered there's a "Refresh Preview" (or similar) button that seems to send it back to the database and update its column names

    I did find another issue (I'd call a bug) in this. One step I tried was to create a second view with same definition as the first, then point to that view to try get it to refresh its definition. First up, the new view didn't even show in the list of tables to select but could overcome this by just manually changing the powerquery code. Second, after the manual change to the new view, clicking Design gave another error about keys (even though same definition as the first). Clearly many flaws in this new design (wouldn't be Microsoft if there weren't...)

    A further irk is the number of clicks you need to do to update a table. What use to be a 5 second job is now closer to a minute with all the click-wait-click-wait

    Monday, November 25, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

    Sorry for the friction in your experience. I am glad that your issue was resolved. 

    I would recommend you to provide feedback at the feedback forum. All the feedback you share, is closely monitored by the Product team and implemented in future releases.

    Also, Regarding service general availability, I would suggest to keep an eye on Azure updates

    Azure updates provide information about important Azure product updates, roadmap, and announcements.


    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:58 AM
    Moderator