none
What should I upgrade to? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not up to date on the forums and my slate is not up to date software either. I tried to catch up the reading, but I'm getting confused, so I'll simply ask (sorry for asking obvious things, but I have been away for a while).

What is the latest version of Windows 8 that I should upgrade my slate to to in order to keep a license and the development tools? If I understand correctly there is developer preview, customer preview, release preview and rtm. Which one should I upgrade to and where to get it?

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• Dominik,

If you have any of the non-RTM versions of Windows 8, then consider getting an RTM version, waiting for the official release in October or getting a 90-day trial version on the Microsoft sites.

To get an RTM version you need either a Technet or MSDN  subscription.  The version you can get depends on the level you have.  In MSDN and Technet the Windows 8 ISO's contain the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro versions. You can get keys for each of those with such subscriptions.

Before Windows 8 went to RTM, Microsoft provided keys for the Release Preview via Microsoft Connect (I assume you have a Windows (Live) Id to access Connect) but I doubt they work with the RTM.  I remember reading that the Release Preview key from Connect would work for 90 days on the RTM but have not tried it (I have an MSDN subscription).

Finally, so far Microsoft has not provided //BUILD attendees with a license that will work with the Windows 8 RTM (any version).

Regards.

• Edited by ljestrada Friday, August 24, 2012 8:01 PM typo
    Friday, August 24, 2012 8:00 PM