deploy using Sharepoint Designer 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am currently exploring new features in Sharepoint 2010 and Sharepoint Designer 2010. I am trying to find if we can deploy the changes made in development server to production server using SPD 2010 but have not able to find a concrete answer. Would also like to know how this can be done and is this restricted to changes made in SPD or even site level changes.

Waiting for a reply to explore more!!

Thanks
    Sakshi
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 15, 2010 9:21 AM 2010 added to Title - pretty important considering you didn't post this to a 2010 forum.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 15, 2010 9:22 AM 2010 questions all go to a suitable 2010 forum. (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:50 AM

Answers

• Sakshi,

I have copied the content from these resources for backup and restore options from TechNet Help

1. At the Windows PowerShell command prompt (that is, PS C:\>), type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Export-SPWeb -Identity <Site URL> -Path <Path and file name> [-ItemUrl <URL of site, list, or library>] [-IncludeUserSecurity] [-IncludeVersions] [-NoFileCompression] [-Verbose]

To specify which version of the site, list, or document library to include, use the IncludeVersions parameter and specify “LastMajor” (default), “CurrentVersion”, “LastMajorandMinor”, or “All”. To include the user security settings with the list or document library, use the IncludeUserSecurity parameter. If you want to overwrite the file that you specified, use the Force parameter. To view the progress of the backup operation, use the Verbose parameter.

The NoFileCompression parameter lets you specify that no file compression is performed during the export process. Using this parameter can lower resource usage up to 30% during the export process. Using this parameter will result in a backup folder being created instead of a compressed file. If you use the NoFileCompression parameter in the Export-SPWeb command, you must also use it when you import the content by using the Import-SPWeb command.

2. At the Windows PowerShell command prompt (that is, PS C:\>), type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Import-SPWeb -Identity <Site URL> -Path <Export file name> [-Force] [-NoFileCompression] [-Verbose]

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428301%28office.14%29.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428322%28office.14%29.aspx

Blog: Alpesh Nakar's Blog | Twitter: Follow Alpesh on Twitter |SharePoint Resources: Just SharePoint Resource Center | Follow Just SharePoint updates on Twitter
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:07 AM

All replies

• Sakshi, if you are referring to sites created in dev environment (customised or not with SharePoint Designer) with content, then you couple of options
    1. Save site with content - this will save as wsp. Then deploy this solution in your production farm or
    2. Use granular backup option from Central Admin and then use Windows PowerShell to import in the production environment. You could use Windows PowerShell to export and import your site (site collection), web (sites in site collection) or lists/document library

Blog: Alpesh Nakar's Blog | Twitter: Follow Alpesh on Twitter |SharePoint Resources: Just SharePoint Resource Center | Follow Just SharePoint updates on Twitter
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Hi Alpesh,

Thanks for your response. I understand the first solution that you have stated in your reply but I am not aware of the option using Windows PowerShell. Are there some recources from where I can get an initial understanding of Windows PowerShell and if you could provide the same it will be of great help.

Thanks
    Sakshi
    Monday, January 18, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Sakshi,

I have copied the content from these resources for backup and restore options from TechNet Help

1. At the Windows PowerShell command prompt (that is, PS C:\>), type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Export-SPWeb -Identity <Site URL> -Path <Path and file name> [-ItemUrl <URL of site, list, or library>] [-IncludeUserSecurity] [-IncludeVersions] [-NoFileCompression] [-Verbose]

To specify which version of the site, list, or document library to include, use the IncludeVersions parameter and specify “LastMajor” (default), “CurrentVersion”, “LastMajorandMinor”, or “All”. To include the user security settings with the list or document library, use the IncludeUserSecurity parameter. If you want to overwrite the file that you specified, use the Force parameter. To view the progress of the backup operation, use the Verbose parameter.

The NoFileCompression parameter lets you specify that no file compression is performed during the export process. Using this parameter can lower resource usage up to 30% during the export process. Using this parameter will result in a backup folder being created instead of a compressed file. If you use the NoFileCompression parameter in the Export-SPWeb command, you must also use it when you import the content by using the Import-SPWeb command.

2. At the Windows PowerShell command prompt (that is, PS C:\>), type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Import-SPWeb -Identity <Site URL> -Path <Export file name> [-Force] [-NoFileCompression] [-Verbose]

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428301%28office.14%29.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428322%28office.14%29.aspx

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Hi Sakshi,

Did the solution work for you?

Monday, January 25, 2010 1:33 AM
  • Hi Alpesh,

Thanks for your support. I went through some MSDN articles to understand Powershell and the solution provided by you was very helpful.

Thanks a lot for your support.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:53 AM