Jan 2017 - No ads will serve on ad units used in multiple apps RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

As many of you might be aware, there have been continuous efforts to improve the quality of the Windows Store app catalog. As part of this exercise, apps in the store have been reviewed, issues identified and apps that do not comply have been brought down from the store catalog. You might have received an email in case your app was removed from the store for compliance reasons.

Ads will no longer serve in your apps that have been removed from the store for compliance reasons. 

If you have ad units that belong to such apps (which have been removed from the Store), and are also using the same ad units in your other live apps as well, please republish your live apps with the latest SDK versions and new ad units immediately, so that your live apps continue to receive ads and generate revenue. Ads will not serve on ad units used in multiple apps starting January 2017, hence it is recommended you republish your apps with new ad units at the earliest, so that there is sufficient time for your users to move to your latest version of the app with the updated ad unit.

The January deadline should not be a surprise since there have been multiple reminders sent and notifications in pubCenter UI over the last 2 years, asking developers to NOT use ad units in multiple apps. Request you to please comply.

Thanks very much for your support and understanding,

Regards,

Shreyas Ganesh N [MSFT]

Sunday, November 27, 2016 5:14 PM

All replies

• "The January deadline should not be a surprise"

Of course it is a bad surprise!!

There was no such email or reminder before!

Only the old PubCenter portal displayed a warning(!) - not an error! -  that there was ad units that was used in multiple apps.

So my question: is this relates ONLY to ad units with apps have been removed from the store for compliance reasons?
    So will my "good" ad units will serving ads if they are even used from multiple apps??

IF IT IS APPLIES TO ALL AD UNITS THEN: 

1.) I have fixed these errors two years ago, but the fix applies only to the new versions of the apps. So there is a possibility that someone not updated the app in the last two years. So for an ad unit: 99.99% of the ad requests will come from to the right app, but 0.01% of the ad requests will come from an app accidently configured(with that ad unit). What will happens this case? Will this ad unit will stop serving ads from January 2017?

2.) If in the 1.) case it will stop serving ads, then it will result a lost of a lot of money. Also if I today start publishing all my apps with a today created new ad unit then I will lost a lot of money. Because users update apps very slowly!

3.) Why do you do this? Why is it good for you that your incompetence of the architecture design of the Microsoft Advertising causing money lost of the developers. I have no real reason see for that decision!

ALL CASES:

4.) Do you plan any other surprise to 2017? I'm really afraid of the next year regarding Microsoft Advertising and DevCenter, because of your surprises! I think you not understand that what it means when your daily income will be half or third of your regular income, because suddenly someone from Microsoft decide that most of the ad units will stop serving ads!!

5.) At least send us an email with the effected ad unit ids/names that will stop serving ads from January 2017! Or if everything ok with ad units then send an ok.

• Edited by devtommy Monday, November 28, 2016 2:10 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 2:08 PM
  • 4.) Do you plan any other surprise to 2017? I'm really afraid of the next year regarding Microsoft Advertising and DevCenter, because of your surprises! I think you not understand that what it means when your daily income will be half or third of your regular income, because suddenly someone from Microsoft decide that most of the ad units will stop serving ads!!

You can use the  "mandatory update" option for this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/publish/upload-app-packages?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#mandatory-update

• Edited by ProgParty Monday, November 28, 2016 2:22 PM url
    Monday, November 28, 2016 2:22 PM
  • @ProgParty: your statement is not related to my post. Also Mandatory update is for "app must target Windows 10" only.
    Monday, November 28, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Well yes, yet is does relate to your post. I meant your second statement:

2.) If in the 1.) case it will stop serving ads, then it will result a lost of a lot of money. Also if I today start publishing all my apps with a today created new ad unit then I will lost a lot of money. Because users update apps very slowly!

You can force user to update your application, yet this is indeed limited to windows 10.

• Edited by ProgParty Monday, November 28, 2016 3:59 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 3:58 PM
  • For me, the surprise is much more about ads performances ... :(

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:52 AM
  • You are not alone :)

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:51 AM
  • You are not alone :)
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:35 AM
  • You (developers in general actually) could argue if it is worth to add advertisements to their applications at all.

My application is downloaded on average 85/day with an average of 170 users a dag with 420 sessions. The estimated revenue (EUR) is: 0.43 euro for the month November. This is pretty sad, pathetic even. 

• Edited by ProgParty Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:42 AM typo
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:41 AM

Only the old PubCenter portal displayed a warning(!) - not an error! -  that there was ad units that was used in multiple apps.

So my question: is this relates ONLY to ad units with apps have been removed from the store for compliance reasons?
    So will my "good" ad units will serving ads if they are even used from multiple apps??

1.) I have fixed these errors two years ago, but the fix applies only to the new versions of the apps. So there is a possibility that someone not updated the app in the last two years. So for an ad unit: 99.99% of the ad requests will come from to the right app, but 0.01% of the ad requests will come from an app accidently configured(with that ad unit). What will happens this case? Will this ad unit will stop serving ads from January 2017?

3.) Why do you do this? Why is it good for you that your incompetence of the architecture design of the Microsoft Advertising causing money lost of the developers. I have no real reason see for that decision!

ALL CASES:

4.) Do you plan any other surprise to 2017? I'm really afraid of the next year regarding Microsoft Advertising and DevCenter, because of your surprises! I think you not understand that what it means when your daily income will be half or third of your regular income, because suddenly someone from Microsoft decide that most of the ad units will stop serving ads!!

5.) At least send us an email with the effected ad unit ids/names that will stop serving ads from January 2017! Or if everything ok with ad units then send an ok.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:03 PM
  • I am still waiting for the answer that: is this relates ONLY to ad units with apps have been removed from the store for compliance reasons?
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:05 PM
  • Do you only mean the pubCenter ad unit ?       How about Ad Unit ID created in Dev center?  (We know Dev Center ad unit id belongs to only one app. ) If one dev center ad unit has problem (for example, may be used in a test app unpublished by myself), will it have notification in dev center Ad Unit manager page?

Thanks.

• Edited by Exilerrr Friday, December 2, 2016 3:43 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 3:16 AM

ALL CASES:

Friday, December 2, 2016 6:55 PM
  • @Microsoft: Will you give the answer to these questions? (see above)
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:58 PM
  • Im also waiting. they decided to pause all ad units without letting us know.

The official statement came only on 27th November, this is definitely bad . That's a HUGE lost

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 12:28 PM
  • yes, it will be a HUGE revenue lost from January 2017 :(
    Friday, December 9, 2016 10:00 PM