none
What GPU are you using with Kinect Fusion, and are you happy with its performance? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am about to equip several client systems with GPU cards for use with Kinect Fusion (apps using the 1.7 SDK).  I see that the recommended (not minimum) GPUs for Fusion are cards based on Nvidia GeForce GTX680 or AMD Radeon HD 7850.  Looking at generic benchmarks, there is quite a performance difference between these two architectures, and of course the GTX680 cards are generally more expensive. 

What GPU are you using with Kinect Fusion, are you using one card or multiple cards, and how happy are you with the performance?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:16 PM

All replies

• Im running into issues with

Failed to initialize Kinect Fusion reconstructin volume on device -1

I put this down to being an older (2 yrs) mobille gpu

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
              Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
           Manufacturer: NVIDIA
              Chip type: GeForce GT 230M
               DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
             Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A28&SUBSYS_363E103C&REV_A2
         Display Memory: 2253 MB
       Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
          Shared Memory: 1275 MB
           Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
           Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
          Monitor Model: unknown
             Monitor Id: SEC3651
            Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.031Hz)
            Output Type: Internal
            Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0013.0142 (English)
         Driver Version: 8.17.13.142
            DDI Version: 10.1
           Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:33 AM
  • I'm happy with it, and my computer has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 GPU
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:01 AM
  • I'm trying to use a 2GB 7850, but it is sucking. It seems like my integrated processor is getting used instead.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:54 PM
  • I'd be willing to bet you had the same problem I did, your card doesn't support DirectX 11.   AFAIK, the 230M is DirectX 10.1 capable only.
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:41 PM
  • The software I'm working on is still under development, so I'm not yet in a position to benchmark it.  However, using the Kinect Fusion Basics D2D as a basline model for comparing hardware, I have seen the following two extremes of results on two flavors of GPU running DirectX 11:

• Intel HD 4000 (built into the i7-3770K) - Frame rates peaked occasionally near 27FPS, but were often much much lower.
    • EVGA GTX 680 card - Frame rates were consistently in the 29-30FPS range.

I would be interested in what frame rates people are seeing with this sample using the GPUs mentioned in the 1.7 release notes (e.g., GTX 560, Radeon 6950, GTX 680, Radeon HD 7850), as well as any frame rates on cards that fit in between these on the price/performance curve.

FYI, here is some additional info on the test system I have been using:

• Intel i7-3770K (3.5-3.9GHz, no overclock)
    • 16GB DDR3 (no overclock)
    • ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
    • Kinect for Windows attached to USB 2.0 port (not sharing with any other USB devices on that controller
    • Dual boot: Windows 7 Utimate, Windows 8 Pro
    • GPU: Either built-in Intel HD 4000 or discrete EVGA GTX 680  (no overclock)
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:57 PM
  • I am about to equip several client systems with GPU cards for use with Kinect Fusion (apps using the 1.7 SDK).  I see that the recommended (not minimum) GPUs for Fusion are cards based on Nvidia GeForce GTX680 or AMD Radeon HD 7850.  Looking at generic benchmarks, there is quite a performance difference between these two architectures, and of course the GTX680 cards are generally more expensive. 

What GPU are you using with Kinect Fusion, are you using one card or multiple cards, and how happy are you with the performance?

Thanks.

Iam not using kinect fusion features directly per-say. Iam using reconstructme's program from here: http://reconstructme.net.

They have a compatibility list here for what cards work (they use the kinect sdk v1.6 right now but later will use v1.7):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjYhEvwkxrJOdHBGaTMyWVVBNVFjRHFzbU5RQU81TWc#gid=0

Probably should check their graphics card list above instead of guessing

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Thinker -

I was aware of the ReconstructMe list, and it provides some good information.  However, I have found that a GTX 470 I tried (which is not on the list, but falls between two GTX cards that they rate as 3s) did not provide acceptable performance running Kinect Fusion Basics D2D.  So, while this list may be a good relative reference for ReconstructMe, I started this discussion to get real-world feedback on what cards are actually working (or not) for people using Fusion on the 1.7 SDK.  The intent was not to guess, but to find out what people are actually using, and whether they're happy with the performance.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:22 PM
  • But staying on topic anyone know of any laptop models that already come with a nice dx11 graphics card? Iam looking to upgrade my older windows 7 to a new laptop but will not use windows 8 (windows 8 still has some major drawbacks to doing any form of web programming on it namely IE 10 is still not fully html 5 compatible.)

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Thinker -

I was aware of the ReconstructMe list, and it provides some good information.  However, I have found that a GTX 470 I tried (which is not on the list, but falls between two GTX cards that they rate as 3s) did not provide acceptable performance running Kinect Fusion Basics D2D.  So, while this list may be a good relative reference for ReconstructMe, I started this discussion to get real-world feedback on what cards are actually working (or not) for people using Fusion on the 1.7 SDK.  The intent was not to guess, but to find out what people are actually using, and whether they're happy with the performance.

Thanks.

okay. I am sorry some of those cards might not be dx11 compatible after throughly checking the list. The kinect fusion does not run on any of my machines I found out that I have. Iam more interested in laptop scenarios under $1000 someone found available (I like ordering in store so I do not have to wait but if anyone knows of any good deals please share).  Personally good graphics cards are going to cost upwards of $200-$300 if you reference maximum pc's articles and they do extreme benchmarking and gaming all the time but Iam more of a laptop user. Most people who will use business machines will not have a graphics card that even meets kinect fusion recommended requirements (I know of business stories of people still using windows xp machines especially small businesses).  So it will be hard to find people who will use it correctly and have the money to expend on a nice graphics card.

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:06 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hi guys,

Does this mean Kinfu_largescale can't run with GPU of GeForce GT 630? The package finally build on my machine, but  I got this message when I use $sudo ./pcl_kinfu_largescale

-----------------

[pcl::gpu::printShortCudaDeviceInfo] : Device 0:  "GeForce GT 630"  2047Mb, sm_21, 96 cores, Driver/Runtime ver.6.0/4.0
    Can't open depth source
    -----------------

Any idea about the problem is being with my Graphics card usage? Thanks.

Monday, November 4, 2013 7:22 AM