Windows phone 8.1 (runtime) MapLocationFinder problems sometime

Question

• Hi,

When my app is starting (not resuming or something) with the URI protocol passing a latitude and a longitude and then reverse geocode the coordinates using MapLocationFinder, MapLocationFinder usually fail (never return a result).

As well sometime MapLocationFinder result status is a "IndexFailure" even if it can find the location/address. I have to restart the resolution to make it work.

I've spotted that sometimes "HERE drive" app fail as well to get the navigation when it is started using "ms-drive-to:?destination.latitude={0}&destination.longitude={1}" (I suspect "HERE Drive" to use the MapLocationFinder as well)

Any ideas ?

Regards

Marc M

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:16 PM

All replies

• Very difficult to say without having any way to troubleshoot it. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Have a try with that piece of code :

Geopoint point1 = new Geopoint(new BasicGeoposition()
    {
        Latitude = 51.494228,
        Longitude = -0.247820
    });
    Geopoint point2 = new Geopoint(new BasicGeoposition()
    {
        Latitude = 51.482809,
        Longitude = -0.262452 
    });
    var routeResult = await MapRouteFinder.GetWalkingRouteAsync(point1, point2);
    Debug.WriteLine(routeResult.Status);  

I never reach the Debug.WriteLine line.

MapRouteFinder.GetWalkingRouteAsync seems a bit bugged :/

Any thought ? As well if I repeat that it will decrease a lot the performances of the map control.

Cheers

Wednesday, October 01, 2014 7:24 PM
  • As well this piece of code "can" degrade a lot performances of the app even if it run on a background thread.

Any help ?

Thursday, October 02, 2014 5:12 PM
  • It looks like your second point is a fair distance away from a routable location (road). Usually when it comes to routing the points will be snapped to the closest routable point on the map, however, for performance reasons there is a limit which requires the coordinate to be within a specified distance of the point. This is usually somewhere between 100m and 150m.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, December 01, 2014 4:59 PM
  • I am having a similar issue, as the waypoints I am using are public locations that are sometimes quite offroad. Is it confirmed that the entire RoutingService breaks on this, and if so, is there a workaround?
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:09 PM