Publishing and platform problem...

Question

• What if I write a C++ app and want to publish it on x86, x64, ARM platforms?

Should I make 3 apps with slightly different names?

How could I make sure the user choose the right one?

Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

• You will need to upload 3 separate app packages to the Windows Store, one for each platform. When you create your package using the Create App Package wizard in Visual Studio, it offers you the option to build multiple packages per platform. You can select to package all 3 platforms and the package output location will contain 3 .appxupload files, one for each platform. You can then upload those 3 files to the Windows Store. Note that the Windows Store is close to general submission in the Consumer Preview.

The Windows Store client will only show apps that are applicable to the machine's architecture. For example, on an ARM device, the Store catalog will only show apps that have an ARM package uploaded.

• Marked as answer by Lloyd Friday, March 9, 2012 8:26 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 12:04 AM

All replies

• Your appx file should have platform specific names, for example: App1_1.0.0.0_x64.appx. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Li Shao, MSFT

Li Shao

Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:45 PM
  • I suspect he's asking if he needs to submit them as 3 separate apps on the windows app store.

What I'd expect would be to submit a single app with all 3 versions and the store publishes them individually and shows them to users based on their current platform. So an ARM user will always just see the ARM version.

http://blog.voidnish.com

Thursday, March 8, 2012 11:24 PM
  • You will need to upload 3 separate app packages to the Windows Store, one for each platform. When you create your package using the Create App Package wizard in Visual Studio, it offers you the option to build multiple packages per platform. You can select to package all 3 platforms and the package output location will contain 3 .appxupload files, one for each platform. You can then upload those 3 files to the Windows Store. Note that the Windows Store is close to general submission in the Consumer Preview.

The Windows Store client will only show apps that are applicable to the machine's architecture. For example, on an ARM device, the Store catalog will only show apps that have an ARM package uploaded.

• Marked as answer by Lloyd Friday, March 9, 2012 8:26 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Thanks, sounds good! :)
    Friday, March 9, 2012 8:26 AM
  • I suspect he's asking if he needs to submit them as 3 separate apps on the windows app store.

What I'd expect would be to submit a single app with all 3 versions and the store publishes them individually and shows them to users based on their current platform. So an ARM user will always just see the ARM version.

http://blog.voidnish.com

I realize this is an old issue but We have the same question here. Do We need to create 3 entries in the App store and upload every package respectively with same name or do We just need to make 1 app entry in the app store and, at the upload page, drag & drop the 3 packages for upload ?
    Monday, October 15, 2012 7:00 AM
  • I tried to upload multiple packages - one for each x86, x64 and ARM platform. The ARM platform worked fine; but x86 and x64 failed with 'can't read package'. All packages are built using the same solution in VS Express. Is there anything obvious that I might be missing?
    Friday, October 19, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Never mind - looks like a bug in VS Express. Apparently, ARM package worked before I had never created it before; and x86/x64 were older files that seem to have been corrupted; even after repeated attempts to create packages (the timestamps were updated, but package may still have been corrupted). After I deleted all the files are created packages again, the store seems to like it.
    Friday, October 19, 2012 2:18 AM