WebTest - Results - Response tab: Why does the Body display hexadecimal values? RRS feed

Answers

• Visual Studio does not have a decoder for that format, or it believes that the body is binary data. The hex values of the bytes in such bodies are shown on the left and those bytes that have printable values (from memory that is bytes in the range 0x21 to 0x7F inclusive) have their characters shown. Other bytes are shown with a space.

In your question, hiding the right hand side will not hide the values as anyone who is interested could just decode the hex values. If it contains private data then you have just revealed that to the world.

Regards

Adrian

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:59 AM

All replies

• Visual Studio does not have a decoder for that format, or it believes that the body is binary data. The hex values of the bytes in such bodies are shown on the left and those bytes that have printable values (from memory that is bytes in the range 0x21 to 0x7F inclusive) have their characters shown. Other bytes are shown with a space.

In your question, hiding the right hand side will not hide the values as anyone who is interested could just decode the hex values. If it contains private data then you have just revealed that to the world.

Regards

Adrian

Monday, April 23, 2018 7:59 AM
  • hahaahah oh dear

Thanks for the explanation Adrian. I find it strange that the body is displayed as hex. Other webservice testing solutions, like SOAPUI, Fiddler and Swagger display the response as text.

It would be a lot easier to verify Response body by seeing text rather than a strange Hex format.

Currently our webservices return JSON and like you said the part i hid makes no difference if the person is able to decipher the hex.

But i still don't understand why we need the hex there.

How would i put this to Visual Studio as a possible feature change?

<style data-keeper-edited="yes"><br_moz_dirty=""/></style>
    Monday, April 23, 2018 8:13 AM
  • visual studio may protect the response information when transferring or web server return the wrong type if Fiddler and Swagger display the response are different in visual studio.

original case

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/aa4a0f76-5442-423e-90b0-0a5058c1aaab/vs2013-webtest-hexdec-seen-in-response-body-for-json-and-xml?forum=vstest

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:50 AM