Screen capture in Windows RT

Question

• Hi all,

I've done a lot of search about this subject almost everywhere (forums, documentations...) until I ended up here posting this question in hope I find some solution for achieving it.

I was working on a project, actually it's a Windows Store App, which requires some screen capturing functionality, but I didn't manage to do this using the known solutions; first I tried using the HDC (which I found that it's not supported in Windows RT), then I moved to trying some other solution such as the DirectX's function GetRenderTargetData, till I got Windows::Media::Capture::ScreenCapture -one of Windows RT APIs- but it's yet supported only on the Windows Phone 8.1, and after another search, I found the Desktop Duplication, which supports only Windows 8 Desktop applications; so I'm really tired of looking for other solutions, and in need of some answers either with a good working approach, or even a definite answer about its unavailability.

Best regards

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• There is no way to capture the screen.

You can render your own image to a bitmap, but you can't see or capture other windows' information.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:27 AM
    Owner
  • You said there is no way to capture the whole screen, I am actually looking for capturing my own app's window, still no way?

If there any solution, please let me know about it.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:38 AM
  • You can't capture the screen, but you can render your DirectX scene into a bitmap. Take a look at the ScreenGrab module in the DirectX Toolkit.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Tangat Toborn Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:16 AM
    Owner
  • You can try the RenderTargetBitmap method to render the xaml elements to bitmap.
    • Marked as answer by Tangat Toborn Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:17 AM
  • Using DirectX won't actually capture XAML elements on my app, thanks anyway Rob.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Capturing XAML elements seems to be the best idea for now, thank you very much.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:39 PM
  • When you post in the DirectX forum we assume you're writing a DirectX app :)

I explicitly didn't mention RenderTargetBitmap since it's won't pick up the DX elements.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:52 PM
    Owner