none
Project.asmx not avaliable RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Project serever development. I have installed Project server and trying to add a Web Reference to Project.asmx ,Admin.asmx ect

and these files are not exist in PSI folder where as LoginWindows.asmx and some other .asmx files are exist .

Please help me what could be the problem

Regards,

Saju

Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Saju,

In Project Server 2010 you will should not find a Project.asmx (I can't remember off the top of my head if they are actually removed or not). Regardless, for new applications you probably want to be basing your efforts on the WCF services. The biggest difference, all in all, is that you will have to remember only one URL for your service invocations: http://<servername>[:port]/<pwa instance name>/PSI/ProjectServer.svc regardless of what business object (Project, Timesheet, Resource etc.) you are trying to invoke.

I believe the SDK has a fair number of sample you should be able to get a ton of information from.

Hope this helps,

Boaz Lev

MSFT

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Saju,

There could be two factors involved here. I don't know which version you are using (2007 or 2010). First of all, the mentioned web services do not live in the same location as LoginWindows and LoginForms etc. This is the front-end. Instead, you'll find them in the back-end (under the web app called something like "SharePoint Web Services").

If you are using Project Server 2010, you may not even find them there. I can't off the top of my head remember if we removed them in 2010 when we replaced them with WCF services. I think you'd find some great resources and information in the Project Server 2010 SDK.

Hope this helps,

Boaz Lev

MSFT

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:29 AM
  • Hi Boaz

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am using Project Server 2010. I have gone through  SDK. But still I have the confusion that the Web service (Project.asmx) is not available in  Project Server 2010 . Is it replaced by WCF services in 2010?. So we should use WCF instead of Webservice?

Please confirm

Regards,

Saju

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Hi Saju,

In Project Server 2010 you will should not find a Project.asmx (I can't remember off the top of my head if they are actually removed or not). Regardless, for new applications you probably want to be basing your efforts on the WCF services. The biggest difference, all in all, is that you will have to remember only one URL for your service invocations: http://<servername>[:port]/<pwa instance name>/PSI/ProjectServer.svc regardless of what business object (Project, Timesheet, Resource etc.) you are trying to invoke.

I believe the SDK has a fair number of sample you should be able to get a ton of information from.

Hope this helps,

Boaz Lev

MSFT

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:31 AM
  • Thanks for your valueable info and wil try the Sample as mention by you.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:24 PM