PowerPivot Excel 2016 - An issue with the Data Model is preventing Microsoft Excel from opening this workbook. Try restarting Microsoft Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I have developed my data model in Excel 2013 and now i am upgraded to excel 2016 and eveytime I try open my Data model from Power Pivot Manage I get this error"An issue with the Data Model is preventing Microsoft Excel from opening this workbook. Try restarting Microsoft Excel".In addition to above it also give this error sometimes"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Things I have tried:

1. Reboot Machine

2. Repair office

But nothing helped. Is this a known issue with Power Pivot 2016. I never had any problem with 2013 using the same workbook.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated!

Thank you so much.

Ruch

Friday, March 10, 2017 12:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Ruch2307,

After research, you try to get rid of the Data Model completely as follows posted here and try rebuild data model,check if it works fine.

1.close the xlsx in question

2.open the xlsx with favorite zip tool (i used 7zip)

3.delete the "/xl/model" folder

4.open xlsx with Excel again and respond to prompts that Excel needs to make repairs to the file

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ruch2307 Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:02 AM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 2:37 AM

All replies

• Excel 2016 is a lot more unstable in this area. I have never lost a workbook in Excel 2013, but I've lost a few in 2016. I recommend incremental backups when modelling. You can try my defcon advice here. http://exceleratorbi.com.au/does-the-power-pivot-excel-add-in-crash-for-you/ I don't know if it will help with this issue

Self Service BI Expert using Power Pivot http://exceleratorbi.com.au

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey Matt,

Thanks for this. I have it fully built and it crashes sometimes and for one user. So do you think it will be a good idea to re build teh data mode from scratch?

Ruch

Friday, March 10, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Hi Ruch2307,

After research, you try to get rid of the Data Model completely as follows posted here and try rebuild data model,check if it works fine.

1.close the xlsx in question

2.open the xlsx with favorite zip tool (i used 7zip)

3.delete the "/xl/model" folder

4.open xlsx with Excel again and respond to prompts that Excel needs to make repairs to the file

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ruch2307 Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:02 AM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Dear Angelia,

I tried your suggested steps but it did not work.  After deleting the xl/model folder, I could not open the file anymore because of corruption error.

Kee Chor

Monday, November 4, 2019 6:20 AM
  • I have rebuilt an interactive dashboard (pivot tables with slicers - and used power pivot with relational tables) about 12 times in the last week. I build it and it works. The second or third time that I open it, I get that error message and the file starts working altogether. Our IT guys already upgraded me to the 64-bit version of Office and downloaded updates but it keeps happening. It's so frustrating...
    Monday, August 17, 2020 10:45 PM