none
Whats the difference between elastic database pools and just adding another database to the server RRS feed

• Question

• THis is probably a silly question - but whats the difference between elastic database pools and just adding another database to the server 

I created a couple of SQL DB's on the one server and created an elastic DB pool  

I created a few tables in each and managed to join them together by creating an external datasource . I put these in a sort of partitioned view so that a single select would get rows from both DB's  . So its not using a 'shard' table - but the effect is similar  -as the view has conditions which the optimiser seems to use to pre-filter .

This all worked without a problem .   I then decided to just add another database to the server via visual studio - this also worked.  I added a local copy of the table to the new database, then using the same 'Create external Table' command - I managed to add a reference to it into my view . So now from DB 1 i can get records from DB1(local),DB2(in the pool - remote), DB3( not in the pool , remote )  - It didn't seem to make any difference that the other DB was not in the 'elastic pool'  .

So what is the difference between DBs in an elastic pool and the DB's on the same server.   ( I assume the elastic pool can only have one logical server ? ) 

Saturday, November 21, 2015 11:41 AM

Answers

• The difference is that if you have a single DB, then you have the tier limit of DTUs (performance) only for that DB. And if you have a pool, then you can share the DTU limits amongst all databases in the pool, so you can accommodate peaks. 

Further reference - here.

Ivan Donev MCT and MCSE Data Platform

• Marked as answer by Ewen327 Saturday, November 21, 2015 11:18 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:21 PM

All replies

• The difference is that if you have a single DB, then you have the tier limit of DTUs (performance) only for that DB. And if you have a pool, then you can share the DTU limits amongst all databases in the pool, so you can accommodate peaks. 

Further reference - here.

Ivan Donev MCT and MCSE Data Platform

• Marked as answer by Ewen327 Saturday, November 21, 2015 11:18 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:21 PM
  • We manage about 1,000 database in SQL Elastic pools. They are very powerful for allowing several databases to share resources. We have some databases that are very busy and some that hardly ever have traffic. They really help with this type of use case. Here is a review we did of them if you are interested: http://stackify.com/sql-azure-elastic-pool-product-review/

Azure power user for 4 years and .NET developer for 14 years. Founder and CEO of Stackify APM - Advanced application monitoring for Azure

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:00 PM