Windows 10 does not remember "How do you want to open this file" choices RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently upgraded to Windows 10.

I have setup IE 11 to be my default browser because I use the LastPass plugin which the Edge browser does not appear to support.

When ever I click on a link in an e-mail I get prompted with the "How do you want to open this file" dialog box.  I have selected IE 11 and checked the "Always use this App" checkbox and the bottom of the dialog box.  However, every time I click on another link in an e-mail the "How do you want to open this file" dialog box appears.

Why do I always have to keep checking the "Always use this App" checkbox?

This same error occurs for other apps that I prefer to use rather that the Windows 10 default apps.  It appears that Windows 10 only wants you to use their default apps and will keep displaying the "How do you want to open this file" dialog window when you try to use anything else.

This is VERY annoying.

Gary Frickey

I was able to solve this problem using information from this link - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-does-not-remember-how-do-you-want-to/3e720ae0-c199-4139-9074-1e1d3d18971c

• Edited by gf1 Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:55 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 8:03 PM

All replies