Database Won't Restart: An error occurred while auditing this operation. RRS feed

• Question

• Using SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition.

I've create an Audit and a Server Audit Specification with the following Action Groups:

AUDIT_CHANGE_GROUP
    BACKUP_RESTORE_GROUP
    DATABASE_CHANGE_GROUP
    DATABASE_OBJECT_OWNERSHIP_CHANGE_GROUP
    DATABASE_OBJECT_PERMISSION_CHANGE_GROUP
    DATABASE_OPERATION_GROUP
    DATABASE_OWNERSHIP_CHANGE_GROUP
    DATABASE_PERMISSION_CHANGE_GROUP
    DATABASE_PRINCIPAL_CHANGE_GROUP
    DATABASE_PRINCIPAL_IMPERSONATION_GROUP
    DATABASE_ROLE_MEMBER_CHANGE_GROUP
    DBCC_GROUP
    FAILED_LOGIN_GROUP
    LOGIN_CHANGE_PASSWORD_GROUP
    LOGOUT_GROUP
    SCHEMA_OBJECT_CHANGE_GROUP
    SCHEMA_OBJECT_OWNERSHIP_CHANGE_GROUP
    SCHEMA_OBJECT_PERMISSION_CHANGE_GROUP
    SERVER_OBJECT_CHANGE_GROUP
    SERVER_OBJECT_OWNERSHIP_CHANGE_GROUP
    SERVER_OBJECT_PERMISSION_CHANGE_GROUP
    SERVER_OPERATION_GROUP
    SERVER_PERMISSION_CHANGE_GROUP
    SERVER_PRINCIPAL_CHANGE_GROUP
    SERVER_PRINCIPAL_IMPERSONATION_GROUP
    SERVER_ROLE_MEMBER_CHANGE_GROUP
    SERVER_STATE_CHANGE_GROUP
    SUCCESSFUL_LOGIN_GROUP

Events are logged to the Window Security Event Log (I gave the Managed Service Account which SQL Server service runs under the "generate security audits" policy). Therefore after enabling the Audit I can see audit events in the Windows Security Event Log.

The problem is that when I restart the SQL Server service it fails with the following entries in the Windows Application Event Log:

1. SQL Server Audit has started the audits.
    2. SQL Trace ID 1 was started by login "sa".
    3. An error occurred while auditing this operation. Fix the error in the audit and then retry this operation.
    4. User does not have permission to perform this action.
    5. An error occurred while auditing this operation. Fix the error in the audit and then retry this operation.

The Windows System Event Log has:

1. The SQL Server (XX) serice terminated unexpectedly.

The ERRORLOG states:

1. SQL Server Audit has started the audits. This is an informational message. No user action is required.
    2. SQL Trace ID 1 was started by login "sa".
    3. Error: 33239, Severity: 16 State: 1
    4. An error occurred while auditing this operation. Fix the error in the audit and then retry this operation.
    5. Error: 15247, Severity: 16 State: 15
    6. User does not have permission to perform this action.
    7. Error: 15247, Severity: 16 State: 15
    8. User does not have permission to perform this action.
    9. SQL Server shutdown has been initiated
    10. Error: 33239, Severity: 16 State: 1
    11. An error occurred while auditing this operation. Fix the error in the audit and then retry this operation.
    12. Software Usage Metrics is disabled
    13. Audit: Server Audit: 65536, State changed from: TARGET_CREATION_FAILED to: STARTED

I don't understand what permission is required during startup that wasn't required while the DB was running? 

How can I fix this error? As I can't start the serviceI can't log in to fix the problem.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 12:52 AM

All replies

• Hi TechNetGuru,

Please use the –f option at the command line to start the instance, it will start an instance of SQL Server with minimal configuration. Please refer to the following code:

sqlservr.exe -s <instancename> -f (if it is a named instance, please fill in the <instancename>, if a default instance, let it balnk).

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:58 AM