How do I get a developers license?

Question

• I am only using visual studio to write apps for my own machine.
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:34 PM

Answers

• Download and install Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8.  When you run it, you will be prompted to get the developers license which is free.  You will have to have a Microsoft ID.  This license has to be renewed about every 3 months (also free).

To put an app in the Windows Store, you will need to register with the Store for an annual fee.

Of course, you can write apps for your own machine but the apps are tied to your developers license and will expire when your license runs out.  I and others have experienced apps failing to function after a period even when the developer license is valid.  Uninstalling the app and redeploying them in VS always revives them, though.

I do not think that Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop has these limitations, so that might be  better suited for your scenario.

• Edited by jrboddie Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ralph MW Monday, February 25, 2013 7:21 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:57 PM
  • See  Get a developer license for more information on the developer license.

This is only relevant for writing Windows Store apps. As Jrboddie suggests, you do not need a developer license to write or run a desktop app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Ralph MW Monday, February 25, 2013 7:22 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 1:00 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Download and install Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8.  When you run it, you will be prompted to get the developers license which is free.  You will have to have a Microsoft ID.  This license has to be renewed about every 3 months (also free).

To put an app in the Windows Store, you will need to register with the Store for an annual fee.

Of course, you can write apps for your own machine but the apps are tied to your developers license and will expire when your license runs out.  I and others have experienced apps failing to function after a period even when the developer license is valid.  Uninstalling the app and redeploying them in VS always revives them, though.

I do not think that Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop has these limitations, so that might be  better suited for your scenario.

• Edited by jrboddie Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ralph MW Monday, February 25, 2013 7:21 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:57 PM
  • See  Get a developer license for more information on the developer license.

This is only relevant for writing Windows Store apps. As Jrboddie suggests, you do not need a developer license to write or run a desktop app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Ralph MW Monday, February 25, 2013 7:22 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 1:00 AM
    Owner
  • Hello Sir, According to your reply, one does not need to have a developer license ; but when I try to write (create) an windows store app, it asks for windows store developer license. Why so ?

I have developed an windows store, can I run that app on onother windows 8 PC without having developer license. Please help. TIA.

Friday, November 29, 2013 10:59 AM
  • if you develop and store app and make it available in the windows store you can download it on other machines without developer license.

Otherwise you need to enable the other machine for sideloading (group policy or sideloading keys) or need the developer license

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Friday, November 29, 2013 11:02 AM