Regasm.exe stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I am using InstallShield to create install files. I am running a 32 bit VISTA Ultimate SP2 system. This has worked well for years. Last week I got an error building an install file, "An error occurred building COM .NET Interop information for Component xxx.dll". First I thought I messed up something in the VS 2010 Compile so I reviewed that and it looked OK. Then I thought I messed something up in the Installer project, so I reviewed that and it looked OK. So then, just to be sure, I tried running a different installer package that had worked a month ago and had not changed, that failed the same way.

I knew from the error message the issue was with regasm.exe so I tried running it from the command line (as administrator)(C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\regasm /?). I got nothing, it goes back to the command line. No help, no error message, no "file not found". 

When I run version 2 (c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>regasm /?) I get the help messages. Since my code is compiled with .NET 4 I cannot use version 2.

Looking in my Control Panel at Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) I see that updates for the following since my last successful build on 10/16

• 10/24 MS Visual Studio 2010 ADO.NET Entity Framework Tools
    • 10/24 MS Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack1
    • 10/24 MS Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86)
    • 10/24 Adobe Flash Player 19 ActiveX

On 10/14 MS .NET Framework 4.5.2, this would be highly suspect but I created an install package on 10/16 so that seems like it would not be the culprit.

I tried uninstalling the above and that did not help, I tried restoring to an earlier date (10/11) that removed the contents of the v4.0.30319 folder, and none of the other regasm.exe's worked. I did an Undo of the Restore and am back to where I started. I have searched the web and msdn for hours.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

John Svercek

John C Svercek

Sunday, October 25, 2015 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Try whether 64bit version is work or not.
    (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\regasm /?).

>>it goes back to the command line. No help, no error message, no "file not found". 

Open Event Viewer, check the error message for this.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:14 AM
  • Thanks for the response. This is a 64bit machine but it is running 32 bit OS so it does not have the Framework64 folder.

I did look in the event viewer but I did not see anything that look like it was related.

John

John C Svercek

Monday, October 26, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi JCSvercek,

Try use Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool repair it or reinstall .net framework 4.0
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:44 AM