none
How to determine the map version RRS feed

• Question

• We have a legacy flex/flash application that is using a deprecated 3rd party API (umapper) to integrate with the maps. We don't have access to that code and so we're wondering if there's another way to determine what version of maps are being used. In the bottom right corner of the map it says "(c) 2009 Microsoft - Maps Live Search". 

The reason we'd like to know the version is because we're afraid that Microsoft will stop serving this version of the maps some day and they'll stop working.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• The version won't matter, it all depends on how the Umapper control accesses the Bing Maps tiles. If they have done this in using the required method for accessing the tiles, then this should continue to work for a long time. If they hard coded in the tile UR's, it likely is already using old map/imagery data. IF you can provide a link to the map I can take a look at the network traffic and try and figure out what it is doing.

As for the copyright, that likely was hardcoded in by the developer.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Thursday, August 4, 2016 5:51 PM
  • Does the network traffic shown in the screenshot below provide the information you need to determine what version of the map is being used and how long we can expect Microsoft to keep it working?

If not, how can I contact you directly to give you the details on how to get to this page yourself? 

Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:21 PM
  • It looks like they hard coded the tile URL's as that is a very old URL format. I haven't seen that one in over 6 years. Ding some testing it appears to be pointing to the old Bing Maps imagery. Here is a comparison:

Old URL: http://r0.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r021230030203223.png?g=90&shading=hill

New URL: https://t0.ssl.ak.dynamic.tiles.virtualearth.net/comp/ch/021230030203223?mkt=en-us&it=G,L&shading=hill&og=125&n=z&key=YOUR_BING_MAPS_KEY

If you click on them you will see that the green highway is different. This the 520 bridge in Seattle that changed over the summer.

Its been ages since I've come across Umapper and don't know if it is possible to update it. Likely best to move away from flash anyways since browsers are starting to block flash all together. I would recommend migrating to the Bing Maps V8 map control which uses HTML5 and is likely much faster than the old umapper control.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by JesseWien Friday, August 5, 2016 5:41 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:16 PM
  • I agree and we are in the process of starting a migration off flash and will use Bing v8.

That being said, we have a number of pages to update, and would like to know how much time we have before the existing approach stops working. If we don't have a lot of time, we may have to first find a solution to update the maps in flash, and then migrate to new technology later. But if we have more time, we'll migrate to completely new technology in 1 swoop (although more time consuming).

Thanks for your response.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:29 PM