Is the "Application Database" really needed when deploying HTML apps to an IIS server? RRS feed

• Question

• The first time that we deployed a LightSwitch HTML app to one of our IIS servers we had to setup an SQL user account that had full permissions on an SQL database engine server. When deploying a script is ran to create an Application Database. My understanding is that this database is only used when you have admin roles setup within the app.

I do not use any of the admin roles functionality. Is there a way to just skip this step entirely? Or do LightSwitch apps use that database for other things in the background?

Also, if this is the case, can multiple LightSwitch apps share the same Application Database? Or do we need each app to create its own?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy

Monday, October 23, 2017 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Jeremy,

I remember Dale Morrison sample about sharing same db between two LS apps, although he showed benefits of separate security roles:

https://blog.ofanitguy.com/2014/12/16/lightswitch-single-production-database-multiple-applications/

with video series

And I confirm that you can skip database script unchecking 'Publish database schema' in 'Data connections' step of publish wizard, if production server db schema matches LS structure and security is already configured.

I'm not sure to understand correctly your question but hoping this helps

Marco

Monday, October 23, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Thanks technetcolmar,

I see from Dale's tutorial that you can use the same App DB for multiple deployed apps. That is really cool because we are deploying more apps and it simplifies things if there is only 1 database out there.

I was really hoping to do away with the App DB all together since I do not use Roles. I was aware that you do not have to script the App DB every time, just the first. But you still need to add in the SQL user credentials for the app to connect to.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Jeremy

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:14 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

The lightswitch also depend on the database. So if you only use html, maybe you could just copy the file to the root folder of IIS.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:09 AM