none
Unable to Discover\Repair Database Engine on SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2

Question

• The issue started when I had to perform an SP3 upgrade for the customer and the "Database Engine" did not show up during the update. Googling around, i noticed that the "Database Engine" is not visible in the Discovery Report as well. Few blogs suggested to repair the installation, but the repair does not show any "Database Engine" for me to repair. Relevant Screenshots are below:-

Would really appreciate if someone can provide a fix. I did notice that there were installation for a SQL Server Evaluation which was uninstalled during the past years. Also, if i browse through the history of Summary logs, the "Database Engine" went missing after installing SP2.

PS: The architecture is correct for the service pack i.e. x64.

Summary.txt:-

Version:-

Service Pack:-

Discovery:-

• Edited by Kartar Rana Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:17 PM Adding Discovery Report
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

share result of sp_readerrorlog and event viewer.

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

• Edited by Av111 Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:58 PM
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:35 PM
  • It looks like a reboot is required. Can you reboot and try to apply the sp again?
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:47 PM
  • It looks like a reboot is required. Can you reboot and try to apply the sp again?
    So, i have rebooted the server twice. The message that we have above is from summary upon completion of the share features upgrade. Any other suggestions?

Please mark the answer as helpful if i have answered your query. Thanks and Regards, Kartar Rana

Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:45 AM

So, i have rebooted the server twice. The message that we have above is from summary upon completion of the share features upgrade. Any other suggestions?

Please mark the answer as helpful if i have answered your query. Thanks and Regards, Kartar Rana

Are you really sure you have Database engine installed on this machine ? I am just thinking how can both installation and Discovery report miss it.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Try to reboot it.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Hello,

share result of sp_readerrorlog and event viewer.

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

Vishe,

It would be difficult for me to share those details because this is a customer environment. If there's anything that i can look into or provide you with a screenshot for, then i would be more than happy to.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:51 PM

Are you really sure you have Database engine installed on this machine ? I am just thinking how can both installation and Discovery report miss it.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Shashank,

I know. It is a local instance. It would be a little tough to convince but i am hoping the below screenshot should suffice. It was taken after arranging side by side. That is the best that i can do.

• Edited by Kartar Rana Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:55 PM Information
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Try to reboot it.

Robin,

I have already rebooted twice. The screenshots are from after the reboot. If there is a pending reboot, then i am assuming it should show up in the first stage of pre-checks.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:54 PM