none
Web enabling legacy Activex Exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all -

I have a client who is running a desktop app with a winform/C# application interacting with a legacy ActiveX exe - the ActiveX exe inturn talks to local MS Access  db. Everything is in client side.

Now client wants to web enable this (scalable for 1000 users) without touching the ActiveX exe as it is a huge application and the the testing effort will be huge if we decompose that.

Any suggestion in this reagrd will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Arghya

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• A solution we often use, depending on the performance requirements, is to wrap the legacy application in a web service. Microsoft published a white paper including an example named "web service facade for legacy applications guide". Also see this MSDN article "web service facade for legacy applications".

If you need help with exposing the activex interface as a web service/contract feel free to publish parts and/or tell us more about the functionality/usage scenarios of this component.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:43 AM
  • Thanks Paul for your prompt reply. You know what - it may not be that simple as this Activex Exe is a stateful app which keeps remembering al the changes users made on the winform/c# screen and when finally user wants to save it runs logic in the Com server exe with the latest data in the exe process and save in local access db. The Com exe is huge and have reference to around 15 dlls.

I thought of wrapping all the assemblies/VC++ binaries in a clickonce deployment and run a server script every time they launch the app to check differential download of the changed binaries everytime the application is launched. But there will be some dial up users with pre historic PCs where downloading that huge stuff and running a process/memory intensive app will be a pain.

Is there any way I can load balance a stateful activex exe? Then only I can have the web service/adapter talking to that COM process.

Thanks!

Arghya

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:02 AM
  • Are you moving it from a client side app to a Client server app?  If so MS Access will be your bigger problem.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:16 PM