none
Trouble Installing .Net Framework 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've had a ton of trouble re-installing the .net framework 4.0 on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. I have had it on my computer before but I uninstalled it a while back and have been trying to recently re-install it. Heres some more background info.

.Net Framework 4.0 is NOT Installed, nor does it appear in the list of installed programs.

I have ran the .Net Cleanup tool multiple times and tried to reinstall.

I have tried to install it from the standalone offline installers. 

I have tried to install it via the C# Express Edition Installers, which fails. 

I have ran multiple microsoft fixit tools.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled .net Framework's 1.1/3.5

I have tried checking for windows updates related to the problem.

This is my log when trying to install it from the standalone installer.

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = C:\2003d5e36f9e85c00e\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Central Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (C:\2003d5e36f9e85c00e\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (C:\2003d5e36f9e85c00e\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    Exe (C:\2003d5e36f9e85c00e\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    MSI (C:\2003d5e36f9e85c00e\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120731_150304214-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:09).

Here is the link to my vslogs.cab file created after trying to install the .net 4.0 framework. 

http://sdrv.ms/M9uaHE

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:17 PM

Answers

• Installing pre-release software on a system incurs risks. Unfortunately, installing 4.5 updated some 4.0 files, and now the 4.0 installer "sees" a higher version and will not run.

I have a couple of possibilities for you:

1. Try this cleanup tool (read caveats carefully):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

You'll need to post to Aaron's blog to see if it can be made to work with 4.5.

2. Reinstall your OS.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:39 AM

All replies

• Please refrain from using the .NET Cleanup tool. I've been advised by the .NET Framework Team that it can damage system files on your system.

Please try this sequence:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:15 PM
  • I followed your instructions exactly, and it still did not work. Here is the link to the logs. vslogs.cab
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Your log reveals:

"INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [A later version of Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is already installed.]"

Did you ever install any pre-release software on your system, like .NET Framework 4.5 or a beta or RC of Visual Studio 2012 (previously Visual Studio 11)?

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Yes, I noticed these errors right after I uninstalled Visual Studio 2012.

Edit: .net framework 4.5 is not installed still though, I uninstalled that awhile back when I uninstalled VS.

• Edited by Speak Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:49 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:47 PM
  • Installing pre-release software on a system incurs risks. Unfortunately, installing 4.5 updated some 4.0 files, and now the 4.0 installer "sees" a higher version and will not run.

I have a couple of possibilities for you:

1. Try this cleanup tool (read caveats carefully):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

You'll need to post to Aaron's blog to see if it can be made to work with 4.5.

2. Reinstall your OS.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:39 AM