none
Error changing PivotTable DataSource from one OLAP cube to another. RRS feed

• Question

• I've exported two OLAP cubes from Microsoft Project, both with the exact same kinds of data (Assignment Usage)- just different numbers.  I can create a pivot table linked to one of the cubes no problem, by assigning a data source.  I use the technique shown here, and it works fine.

The trouble is, after making the pivot table look nice, I want to be able to go to PivotTable Tools and change the datasource to my second OLAP cube.  I go to to PivotTable Tools, select 'Change Data Source', select 'Choose a Connection', 'Browse for More', and click directly on the cube (.cub) file I want.  The following error is thrown every time:

"We couldn't get data from the external source.  Here's the error message we got: 'Internal Error: The operation terminated unsuccessfully.'"

This error doesn't help explain what went wrong at all.  Does anyone have any ideas, experience, or help to offer?

Thank you so much.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Dustin,

This forum is for questions about Excel development. I recommend that you open up a new thread in Excel IT Pro Discussions forum. More experienced Excel users would give you help there. If you got problems about Excel PIA, VBA for Excel or Excel Add-In, then this forum is suitable. Post your code here, we'll give you support as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 31, 2014 2:46 AM

All replies

• Incidentally, I receive the same error even if I just click the "Refresh" button on the original data source, under the PivotTable Tools band.

Not sure if that helps narrow down the problem at all.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Hi Dustin,

This forum is for questions about Excel development. I recommend that you open up a new thread in Excel IT Pro Discussions forum. More experienced Excel users would give you help there. If you got problems about Excel PIA, VBA for Excel or Excel Add-In, then this forum is suitable. Post your code here, we'll give you support as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 31, 2014 2:46 AM