Are there plans to include queries in Lightswitch data source when target is OData interface in another LightSwitch server? RRS feed

• Question

• In order to allow interaction with the Office SDK and Office documents for reporting, my plan is to use a LightSwitch desktop application which can access applications on the local system and access a LightSwitch web application by using the OData interface exposed for that second application. However, I discovered that setting up a data source from the LightSwitch OData interface only defines the entities in the database, and none of the queries. 

This is supported by a statement in this forum post in July 2013 that indicates that it is was not done "by design".

The queries are certainly available when constructing calls to the OData interface, but without incorporating into the data source, it loses many of the conveniences LightSwitch provides.

LightSwitch Team: Is there any plan to add the capability of exposing queries from a LightSwitch OData source when creating a data source in another Lightswitch application? It would seem supporting of this would allow for a more modular approach to build interdependent LightSwitch apps where you need access not only to the data, but queries that provide targeted information. Otherwise you have to recreate the queries and lose any of the permission checks and preprocess queries, making managing change and complexity all the more difficult.

LightSwitch Experts: If there are any suggestions on how to deal effectively with this from the LightSwitch experts out there, it would be great to hear them.

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:10 PM

Answers

• I believe at this point there no plans for any advancement of feature improvement for the LS toolset. But for what it's worth, preprocessquery methods on entities are server code so I believe they do execute in the OData scenario you described.
    • Edited by joshbooker Monday, June 1, 2015 1:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:25 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 1:01 AM

All replies

• Since entering this, I found that using the OpenXML SDK  will negate my immediate requirement for a separate LightSwitch application as I can accomplish what I need on the server in the original app. However, integration of multiple LightSwitch applications is of interest, so it would be helpful to know whether this OData interface will be an effective way to integrate.
    Sunday, May 31, 2015 8:19 PM
  • I believe at this point there no plans for any advancement of feature improvement for the LS toolset. But for what it's worth, preprocessquery methods on entities are server code so I believe they do execute in the OData scenario you described.
    • Edited by joshbooker Monday, June 1, 2015 1:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:25 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 1:01 AM